Rhubarb season is here! What better way to celebrate the gift of spring than with a gluten free crisp? Combine delightfully tart rhubarb and juicy strawberries together to make a delicious, rhubarb strawberry crisp. The marriage of sun-ripened strawberries and seasonal rhubarb taste heavenly.
Let the Rhubarb and Strawberries Shine
What is the secret to the success of this recipe? Less (sugar) is more. We prefer the taste of fruit instead of excess sweet in our crisp. The filling calls for a mere 1/3 C of honey; the topping has only 1/3 C of brown sugar. Wow. This is a much “healthier” version than most recipes. The fact that it contains no gluten is an added bonus. To make this recipe vegan, replace the butter with dairy free butter, the honey with maple syrup and the yogurt with dairy free yogurt.
Please leave a comment in the section provided below the recipe. We love to hear from you and to receive photos of your creations.
An important note: this recipe successfully uses Flour Farm Organic Gluten Free Flour Blend. This blend is found online at Amazon.com, Azure Standard or in a few local grocery stores. If you choose to make this with another flour blend, please note that your results may differ.
Peace & LOVE – Teri
P.S. Flour Farm gives back. We are committed to bringing healthy food to members of our community. If you are looking for equipment or ingredients used to make this recipe, please consider supporting Flour Farm and 2nd Harvest by clicking on the Amazon Associate links provided below. We donate 50% of the profit made from Amazon purchases to 2nd Harvest, which is a local organization dedicated to feeding our children, our community and helping those in need. You will be sent directly to Amazon.com; we do not store any of your information. Thank you and share the love. – Dave & Teri
Products from Amazon.com
Recipe Inspiration: Our monstrous rhubarb patch and a little help from Cookie and Kate (adapted Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp recipe)
Photos by DuPree Productions
Feature photo demonstrates the use of Quick Oats, photos below feature Old Fashioned, Rolled Oats.
Equipment: Digital Scale (preferred), 9×9″ Baking Pan, Mixing Bowls, Whisk, Measuring Spoons & Cups, Sturdy Spoon, Knife, Cutting Board, Cooling Rack
Substitutions: Do you need to swap out an ingredient? Click here.
Before You Dive In – Prep:
- Hull and cut the strawberries into bite sized pieces
- Dice rhubarb into desired size
- Melt butter
- Move oven rack to the center position
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (177 C)
- Grease or apply non-stick spray to the baking pan
Choose Gluten Free, Non-GMO & Organic Ingredients.
- 454g (16 oz) Strawberries, prepared (1 pound)
- 454g (16 oz) Rhubarb, prepared (1 pound)
- 113g (4 oz) Honey (1/3 C); Increase amount of honey to increase sweetness
- 1 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract (5 ml)
- 3 T Flour Farm Organic Gluten Free Flour Blend (24g)
- Pinch Ground Cinnamon (optional, but we prefer)
- 70g (2.5 oz) Old Fashioned Rolled Oats (3/4 C) (quick will work, but you may need to broil top to get crispy)
- 84g (3 oz) Flour Farm Organic Gluten Free Flour Blend (3/4 C)
- 70g (2.5 oz) Light Brown Cane Sugar (1/3 C)
- 1/4 tsp Extra Fine Himalayan Pink Salt (1.5g)
- 57g (2 oz) Butter, melted (4 T or 1/2 stick)
- 45g (1.6 oz) Plain Yogurt (Greek or Regular, we like Siggis Strawberry Rhubarb)
Please read prep note above before you begin, thank you!
Step 1: In a medium sized bowl, mix together the ingredients for the filling. Pour into the prepared baking pan.
Step 2: In a separate medium sized bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients for the topping. Add the melted butter and yogurt and mix with a sturdy spoon. Spoon mixture over the fruit and spread to cover the entire area.
Step 3: Place the pan in the center of a preheated 350 F/177 C oven and bake for 50-55 minutes. The crisp will bubble around the edges and the top will appear golden.
Step 4: Remove the crisp from the oven and place on a cooling rack until ready to serve. We love homemade whipped cream and blueberries on top or vanilla ice-cream.
The nutrition information provided below is for the recipe as written using organic products: salted butter, honey, quick oats, plain Greek yogurt, and ground cinnamon.
- Serving Size: 1 Scoop
- Calories: 250
- Sugar: 24g
- Sodium: 120mg
- Fat: 8g
- Saturated Fat: 3.5g
- Unsaturated Fat: 4.5g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 43g
- Fiber: 4g
- Protein: 4g
- Cholesterol: 15mg
Keywords: gluten free rhubarb strawberry crisp