Gluten Free Pumpkin Bread with Pepitas
Praise the virtues of pumpkin! This round, orange beauty is packed with fiber, vitamins, antioxidants and is low in calories. Our favorite way to add pumpkin into our diet is by whipping up a loaf of moist and nutritious, gluten free Pumpkin Bread with pepitas, (shelled pumpkin seeds.) We mix pepitas into the batter and sprinkle them on top for extra nutrition and crunch. If our daughter makes the bread, she uses mini chocolate chips instead of pepitas – of course she does!
For those of you who are familiar with our Super Moist Gluten Free Banana Bread recipe, you will notice the similarities. We swap out caramelized banana for organic canned pumpkin. We also added spices to jazz up the pumpkin flavor. If our bread is too “spicy” for you, feel free to reduce the amount. To make your own pumpkin pie spice, check out this fabulous blend by Joy the Baker. Click on the link.
Dress it up (or down)!
Feel free to add chocolate chips or your favorite chopped nuts. We love mini chocolate chips. Alternatively, bake up a loaf of pure pumpkin goodness without any add-ins. Go naked! For an excellent tutorial on how to make your own pumpkin puree, visit Inspired Taste’s website and follow along. We love to make our own puree, and their instructions are perfect, (BTW: we leave off the salt.)
Let us (and others!) know how this gluten free Pumpkin Bread recipe worked. Did you add pepitas or chocolate chips? Please leave a rating and comment in the section provided below the recipe. We love hearing from you!
An important note: this recipe successfully uses Flour Farm Organic Gluten Free Flour Blend. Click on this link to blend a batch yourself. If you choose to make this with another GF flour blend, please note that your results may differ.
Peace & LOVE – Teri
Photos by DuPree ProductionsPrint
Super-moist, delicious and nutritious, gluten free Pumpkin Bread (gum free). Dress up your pumpkin bread with pepitas or mini chocolate chips. Or, simply go naked! It’s all good.
Choose Gluten Free, Non-GMO & Organic Ingredients.
Substitutions: Do you need to swap out an ingredient? Click here for suggestions.
Note: If clicking the 2X or 3X scale boxes to the right, please know that weights listed in parentheses below may or may not change. Please take care to check amounts if increasing the recipe.
- 180g (6.3 oz) Flour Farm Organic Gluten Free Flour Blend (1 2/3 C spoon & level)
- 2 tsp Aluminum Free, Double Acting Baking Powder (9g)
- 1/2 tsp Pink Himalayan Salt (3g)
- 1 tsp Ground Cinnamon (2.5g)
- 1 tsp Pumpkin Pie Spice (1.5g)
- 1/2 tsp Allspice (1g)
- 1/8 tsp Ground Black Pepper – pinch
- 1/8 tsp Ascorbic Acid – Optional (pinch Vitamin C Powder)
- 1/2 T Acacia Powder – Optional (4g)
- 71g (2.5 oz) Dry Toasted Pepitas – nuts are optional (1/2 C) See note for toasting instructions
- 227g (8 oz) Pure Pumpkin Puree (about 1 cup)
- 57g (2 oz) Butter – Melted and Cooled (1/4 C)
- 59 ml (2 fl oz) Your Favorite Oil (1/4 C – we use sunflower or avocado oil)
- 150g (5.3 oz) Light Brown Cane Sugar (packed 3/4 C)
- 2 Large Pasture Raised Eggs – lightly beaten (100g)
- 2 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract (8g)
- 57g (2 oz) Plain Greek Yogurt (1/4 cup)
- Raw pepitas to sprinkle over top
- Mini Chocolate Chips
Equipment: Digital Scale (preferred), 8.5 x 4.5″ Loaf Pan, Whisk, Sturdy Mixing Spoon, Instant Read Digital Thermometer (preferred), Measuring Spoons & Cups, Aluminum Foil, Mixing Bowls, Cooling Rack
Before You Dive In – Prep: Please Read!
- Prepare homemade pumpkin puree, if using homemade
- Melt and cool the butter
- Dry toast pepitas or other nuts (optional – may use raw or no nuts.) To dry toast: cook pumpkin seeds in a dry 9- to 10-inch heavy skillet (preferably cast-iron) over moderate heat, stirring constantly, until puffed and golden, 4 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a small bowl to cool.
- Move oven rack to center
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (177 C)
- Spray or grease a 8.5 x 4.5″ loaf pan. Try our non-stick baking Goop
Step 1: In a medium bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients. Set aside.
Step 2: In a separate large bowl, add all of the wet ingredients. Mix thoroughly using a whisk.
Step 3: Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir with a sturdy mixing spoon until all of the dry ingredients are incorporated.
Step 4: Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and sprinkle pepitas over the top if using. Place in the center of a preheated 350 F/1177 C oven.
Step 5: Bake for 45 minutes and check the top for over browning. If turning excessively brown, tent with foil.
Step 6: Total bake time is 55-60 minutes depending on your oven/loaf pan. The internal temperature of the bread should be about 205 F (96C). If you do not have a thermometer, a toothpick dipped into the center of the loaf should come out clean.
Step 7: Remove the pan from the oven and allow it to sit on the cooling rack for a few minutes. Turn the pan on it’s side and release the loaf. Allow the loaf to cool on the rack on its side for about 10 minutes. Set top side up to continue cooling.
Step 8: If there is any bread left over after you start into it, wrap it in plastic wrap/foil or seal it in an airtight container. It will stay on the counter for 3 days.
For the chocolate lover: Substitute 99g (3.5 oz) Mini Chocolate Chips (1/2 C) to the dry mix for the pepitas. Sprinkle mini chips on top before baking.
To freeze: This bread freezes beautifully for up to a month! You can cut individual pieces and wrap them or wrap the whole loaf in a freezer safe container and store for a month. Thaw on the counter or in the toaster on the lowest setting.
The nutrition information provided below is for the recipe as written using organic salted butter and sunflower oil. One loaf yields about 19 – 45g (1.5 oz) slices.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 60 minutes
- Category: Quick Bread
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 150
- Sugar: 9g
- Sodium: 140mg
- Fat: 8g
- Saturated Fat: 2.5g
- Unsaturated Fat: 5.5g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 17g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 3g
- Cholesterol: 25mg
Keywords: Gluten Free Pumpkin Bread
For more sweet gluten free recipes by Flour Farm, click on this link!