Equipment: Digital Scale (preferred), 1- 9″ Round Cake Pan or Oven Proof Skillet, Mixing Bowl, Whisk, Measuring Spoons & Cups, Fork, Grater, Cooling Rack
Substitutions: Do you need to swap out an ingredient? Click here.
Before You Dive In – Prep:
- Bring egg to room temperature (preferred)
- Move oven rack to upper-middle position
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit (200 C)
- Grease or apply non-stick spray to the pan (click the link for our non-stick baking Goop recipe)
Choose Gluten Free, Non-GMO & Organic Ingredients.
- 480g (17 oz) Flour Farm Bread Flour Blend (4 C – 2 T) see blog above or click on the link and follow directions for dairy free version
- 3 T Cane Sugar (42g)
- 1 T Aluminum Free, Double Acting Baking Powder (14g)
- 1 tsp Baking Soda (6g)
- 3/4 tsp Extra Fine Pink Himalayan Salt (4.5g)
- 1 tsp Xanthan Gum (3g)
- Optional – 1 C Raisins or Dried Fruit (weight will vary, but raisins weigh about 142g/5 oz)
- 1 Large Pasture Raised Egg (50g)
- 325 ml (11 fl. oz) Whole Milk Buttermilk (1 1/4 C + 2 T)
- 57g (2 oz) Salted Butter, very cold (1/2 stick or 1/4 C)
- 1 T Salted Butter, melted (15 ml)
Please read prep note above before you begin, thank you!
Step 1: Whisk together the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
Step 2: In a small bowl or liquid measuring cup, add the egg to the buttermilk. Whisk and set aside.
Step 3: Grate the butter into the dry mix and distribute with a fork or use your fingers. The mixture will resemble coarse crumbs.
Step 4: Pour the egg mixture into the dry/butter mix. Stir with a fork until the dough starts to come together. Use your hands to knead the dough in the bowl until the dough comes together in a rough ball.
Step 5: Place the dough ball into the prepared cake pan. Use your hands to flatten and shape the dough into a large disk. Leave about 1 inch from the sides of the pan. Score the dough with a large X.
Step 6: Place loaf in a preheated 400 F/200 C oven and bake for about 35-40 minutes. A toothpick inserted in the bread will come out clean.
Step 7: Remove the loaf from the oven and brush with melted butter. Allow to cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack. Slice or break into chunks when completely cool. Store in cling wrap or an airtight container for up to two days.
Alternate Option: If you prefer a sweeter, moister version of this bread, click on the link. You will be directed to our American version of Irish Soda Bread.
The nutrition information provided below is for the recipe as written without the addition of add-ins. One loaf yields approximately 12 slices weighing about 70g (2.5 oz) each.
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 230
- Sugar: 5g
- Sodium: 450mg
- Fat: 7g
- Saturated Fat: 3.5g
- Unsaturated Fat: 3.5g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 37g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 3g
- Cholesterol: 30mg
Keywords: Gluten Free traditional classic irish soda bread