Gluten free Strawberry Rhubarb Muffins are a seasonal treat. Massaging the rhubarb before adding to the mix is the secret to fluffy, divine muffins.
Choose Gluten Free, Non-GMO, & Organic Ingredients.
Substitutions: Do you need to swap out an ingredient? Click here for suggestions.
Note: If clicking the 2X or 3X scale boxes to the right, please know that weights listed in parentheses below may or may not change. Please take care to check amounts if increasing the recipe.
- 71g (2.5 oz) Fresh Rhubarb, diced (about 1/2 C)
- 1/2 T Cane Sugar (7g)
- pinch Extra Fine Pink Himalayan Salt
- 180g (6.3 oz) Flour Farm Organic Gluten Free Flour Blend (1 2/3 C spoon & level)
- 1 1/2 tsp Double Acting, Aluminum Free Baking Powder (7g)
- 1/2 tsp Extra Fine Pink Himalayan Salt (3g)
- 2 1/2 T Butter, softened (42.5g/1.5 oz)
- 105g (3.7 oz) Cane Sugar (1/2 C)
- 1 Large Pasture Raised Egg (50g)
- 1 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract (5 ml)
- 113g (4 oz) Sour Cream (1/2 C)
- 71g (2.5 oz) Fresh Ripe Strawberries, diced (about 1/2 C)
- 1 T Coarse Cane Sugar such as Turbinado (more or less as desired)
Equipment: Digital scale (preferred), Muffin Pan, Mixing Bowls, Measuring Cups and Spoons, Liners – optional, Whisk, Sturdy Spoon, Electric Mixer, Spatula, Knife, Cutting Board, Cooling Rack
Before You Dive In – Prep: Please read!
- Bring egg to room temperature (preferred)
- Dice strawberries & rhubarb
- Soften the butter (do not melt)
- Move oven rack to center
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit (220 C)
- If using liners, place 8 liners in muffin wells; If not using liners, spray or grease muffin wells (try our non-stick baking Goop)
Step 1: Place diced rhubarb, sugar and salt in a small bowl. Use your hands to massage the rhubarb for about 1 minute, which means to rub the sugar and salt into the diced pieces. Allow the mix to settle for 10 minutes. This process releases liquid from the rhubarb. After 10 minutes, repeat. Massage the rhubarb for another minute and set aside while you prep the rest of the recipe. Before adding rhubarb in step 5, drain liquid through a fine mesh sieve. Discard the extra liquid.
Step 2: Whisk together the dry ingredients in a medium bowl. Set aside.
Step 3: In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar. Add the egg and beat until full and creamy. Add the vanilla and sour cream. Beat until combined. Scrape down the sides with a spatula.
Step 4: Add the flour blend and beat on low until almost all of the flour blend is mixed in. Do not completely mix in. Again, scrape down the sides of the bowl.
Step 5: Fold in the strawberries and rhubarb and mix until flour is well combined. The batter will be thick.
Step 6: Evenly spoon batter into 8 prepared muffin wells (we use a large ice-cream scoop). The batter will almost fill the well to the edge. Sprinkle coarse sugar over the surface of each muffin and place in the center of a preheated 425 F/220 C oven. Bake for 10 minutes. Reduce oven temp to 375 F/ 190 C and bake for 8-9 more minutes. Muffins will appear golden brown on the top and a toothpick inserted in the center will come out clean.
Step 7: Remove muffins from the oven and place on a cooling rack for several minutes before removing from the pan. Transfer muffins to a cooling rack, top side down, and continue to cool until ready to eat. Muffins taste best if eaten within one day. Freeze for up to a month in an airtight container.
Frozen Fruit: If using frozen unsweetened rhubarb or strawberries, thaw and drain the fruit, (literally wring the liquid out,) before weighing and adding to the batter or your muffins will turn out mushy or gummy.
The nutrition information provide below is for the recipe as written using organic salted butter and whole milk sour cream. Each muffin weighs about 2.5 oz (73g).
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: muffins
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: american
- Serving Size: 1 muffin
- Calories: 230
- Sugar: 17g
- Sodium: 280mg
- Fat: 9g
- Saturated Fat: 4.5g
- Unsaturated Fat: 4.5g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 34g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 3g
- Cholesterol: 45mg
Keywords: gluten free strawberry rhubarb muffins