Flour Farm’s gluten free Sour Cream Coffee Cake is the perfect companion to share a sweet moment with anytime of day.
Choose Gluten Free, Non-GMO, & Organic Ingredients.
Substitutions: Do you need suggestions to swap out an ingredient? Click here.
Note: If clicking the 2X or 3X scale boxes to the right, please know that weights listed in parentheses below may or may not change. Please take care to check amounts if increasing the recipe.
- 232g (8.2 oz) Flour Farm Organic Gluten Free Flour Blend (2 C + 2 T spoon & level)
- 56g (2 oz) Corn Starch (1/2 C spoon & level)
- 2 tsp Aluminum Free, Double Acting Baking Powder (8g)
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda (2.5g)
- 1/4 tsp Extra Fine Pink Himalayan Salt (1.5g)
- 170g (6 oz) Unsalted Butter, room temperature (1 1/2 sticks or 12 T)
- 300g (10.5 oz) Cane Sugar (1 1/2 C)
- 4 Large Pasture Raised Eggs (200g)
- 300g (10.5 oz) Sour Cream, full fat (1 1/4 C)
- 1 1/2 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract (7.5 ml)
- 56g (2 oz) Flour Farm Organic Gluten Free Flour Blend (1/2 C spoon & level)
- 50g (1.8 oz) Light Brown Cane Sugar (1/4 C packed)
- 1 1/2 tsp Ground Cinnamon (4g)
- 1/8 tsp Extra Fine Pink Himalayan Salt (pinch)
- 42g (1.5 oz) Unsalted Butter, very cold (3 T)
- Optional: 3/4 C Walnuts or Pecans, chopped (about 114g or 4 oz)
- Powdered Sugar
- Glaze (see notes below)
Equipment: Digital Scale (preferred), Bundt Pan or 10″ Tube pan, Stand Mixer with Paddle Attachment or Electric Mixer, Mixing Bowls and Spoons, Grater, Silicone Spatula, Cooling Rack, Serving Platter
Before You Dive In – Prep: Please Read!
- Bring butter and eggs to room temperature
- Take sour cream out of refrigerator about 30 minutes before mixing (preferred)
- Move oven rack to center
- Preheat oven to 350 Fahrenheit (177 C)
- Grease cake pan, we use our non-stick baking Goop
Step 1: Whisk together dry ingredients in a medium bowl. Set aside.
Step 2: Add butter and sugar from the wet ingredient list into the bowl attached to the stand mixer or large mixing bowl. Cream together for about 4-5 minutes.
Step 3: While the mixer is doing its thing, combine the ingredients for the streusel, except the butter, into a medium bowl. Grate the butter into the mix. Use your fingers to blend and pinch in the butter. The streusel should resemble small baby peas and course sand. Set aside.
Step 4: Turn mixer to med-low and beat in eggs, one at a time. Scrape down the sides and bottom of bowl. Turn the mixer back on to med-low and add the sour cream and vanilla. Beat until combined. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and mix in.
Step 5: Turn the mixer to low and slowly spoon in the dry flour mix. Blend until just combined. Turn the mixer off and continue to stir with a silicone spatula, bringing up any batter from the bottom and along the sides to fully integrate.
Step 6: Pour half of the batter into the cake pan. Sprinkle about 1/2 of the streusel onto the surface, (for a thicker band of streudel, sprinkle up to 2/3). Cover with the rest of the cake batter and sprinkle the remaining streusel on top.
Step 7: Place cake in the middle of a preheated 350 F/177 C oven and bake for 45-50 minutes. A toothpick inserted in the center should come out clean.
Step 8: Place cake on a wire cooling rack and allow to sit for at least 30 minutes before removing the pan. If you have a bundt cake pan, simply place a platter face down on top of the pan and invert the cake onto a platter. If you have a tube pan, and you want the streusel to be shown top side up, take care to remove the cake from the pan and transfer to a platter.
Step 9: When the cake is cool, sprinkle powdered sugar over the top or drizzle with glaze (see notes for glaze instructions).
Cake is best eaten within two days. To store, cover in an airtight container.
Glaze: Ina recommends whisking the powdered sugar with 2 T of maple syrup. Add a few drops of water to thin if necessary. Drizzle glaze over the cake as desired.
The nutrition information provided below is for the recipe as written using salted organic butter, without optional nuts or topping. The cake yields 16 slices with each slice weighing about 80g (3 oz).
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: cake
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 320
- Sugar: 23g
- Sodium: 270mg
- Fat: 16g
- Saturated Fat: 6g
- Unsaturated Fat: 7g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 40g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 4g
- Cholesterol: 90mg
Keywords: gluten free sour cream coffee cake