What could be better than seafood paired with a creamy soup base? Besides chocolate paired with just about anything? This delicious, gluten free version of New England Lobster Chowder will knock your knickers off. Feel free to adapt it any way that pleases your family. Enjoy!
Choose Gluten Free, Non-GMO & Organic Ingredients.
Substitutions: Do you need to substitute an ingredient? Click here.
Note: If clicking the 2X or 3X scale boxes to the right, please know that weights listed in parentheses below may or may not change. Please take care to check amounts if increasing the recipe.
- 113g (4 oz) Butter (1 stick or 1/2 C)
- 113g (4 oz) Fennel, diced (save feathery fronds for garnish)
- 113g (4 oz) Leek, white and light green parts only, sliced
- 113g (4 oz) Celery, diced
- 57g (2 oz) Shallot, minced
- 227g (8 oz) Sweet Potato or Yam, cut into 1/2″ (1.25 cm) cubes, boiled – see Prep Note in Instructions
- 56g – 85g (2 oz – 3 oz) Flour Farm Organic Gluten Free Flour Blend, the amount will depend on how thick you like your chowder (1/2 – 3/4 C)
- 591 ml (20 fl. oz) Hot Filtered Water, (2 1/2 C)
- 56g (2 oz) Lobster Base, use an all natural base (scant 1/4 C)
- 355 ml (12 fl. oz) Heavy Cream, Half n Half, Whole Milk or Non-Dairy Milk – you decide how creamy you want your chowder (1 1/2 C)
- 1/2 T Freshly Ground Black Pepper, or to taste
- 4 Sprigs Fresh Thyme or 1/2 T Dried Thyme
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 454g (16 oz/1 lb) Frozen Seafood – Langostinos, Lobster or Crab Meat (if using canned clams – 3 6.5 oz cans, drained – reserve the liquid and use in place of water and lobster base if desired; if using fresh clams, you will need to prepare about 4-5 lbs/2kg of clams – see note below)
- Optional: Fresh or Frozen Corn – toss in a few handfuls of kernels
- Optional: 59 ml (2 fl oz) Pernod, Anisette or Sambuca (1/4 C)
- Fresh Parsley, chopped
- Fresh Fennel Fronds
- Pinch of Fennel Pollen
- Creme Fraiche, dollop in each bowl
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper
Equipment: Digital Scale (preferred), Heavy bottom pot or 5 qt Dutch oven, Sauce pan, Knife and cutting board, Measuring cups & spoons, Heavy spoon, Whisk, Soup crocks
Before You Dive In – Prep:
- Thaw fish or seafood if frozen; Prepare fresh seafood and reserve any liquids (clam preparation is noted below.)
- Boil cubed sweet potatoes or yams in lightly salted water until al dente – tender, but not soft. Drain and set aside.
- Dice, slice or chop all vegetables & herbs
- Heat the water and dissolve the lobster base (or heat the liquid of choice.)
Step 1: In a heavy bottom pan or 5 qt Dutch oven, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the fennel, leek, celery and shallot and saute until vegetables start to soften.
Step 2: Make a roux: sprinkle Flour Farm flour over the softened vegetables. Stir to incorporate and cook for 2-3 minutes.
Step 3: Slowly pour in the hot water/dissolved base mix (or warmed, strained clam juice.) Whisk briskly into the roux to avoid lumpy chowder. Cook on medium for about 2 minutes.
Step 4: Add cream, pepper, thyme and paprika. Cook for another 2-3 minutes.
Step 5: Add thawed seafood, cooked sweet potato, corn and Pernod (if using). Bring temperature up to 190 F/88 C (this only takes a few minutes.) Cook at this temperature for 5 minutes. Remove bay leaf and thyme sprigs.
Step 6: Taste for seasoning and adjust. Remove from heat, divide into bowls, garnish and serve while hot.
Note: Chowder is best eaten within 3 days. Refrigerate in an airtight container. Do not freeze.
Share the love!
To use fresh clams: Scrub clam shells. Add 3 cups water to a large pot and bring to a boil. Add clams, cover, cook over high heat for 5 minutes. If clams are not yet opening, stir clams, cover and cook an additional 2 minutes. Uncover and transfer any open clams to a separate bowl. Continue to simmer and remove clams as they open up. Discard any unopened clams. Drain the clams into a measuring cup to reserve. Scoop out the meat, and coarsely chop, (if using a large clam such as cherry stone.) Set the clam meat aside until directions call for adding seafood. Strain the clam juice and use in place of water and lobster base if desired.
The nutrition information provided below is for the recipe as written using salted organic butter and langostinos. Spirits are not included in the calculation. Each serving weighs about 227g/8 oz.
- Category: chowder
- Cuisine: american
- Serving Size: 1 bowl
- Calories: 260
- Sugar: 5g
- Sodium: 1230mg
- Fat: 14g
- Saturated Fat: 8g
- Unsaturated Fat: 6g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 120mg
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 15g
- Cholesterol: 120mg
Keywords: gluten free new england style seafood chowder creamy