Need an afternoon boost or the perfect after-dinner dessert to impress the most discerning guest? Try this gluten free Espresso Cake. You will love how this tasty, one layer cake comes together in no time.
Choose Gluten Free, Non-GMO & Organic Ingredients.
Substitutions: Do you need to swap out an ingredient? Click here for suggestions.
Note: If clicking the 2X or 3X scale boxes to the right, please know that weights listed in parentheses below may or may not change. Please take care to check amounts if increasing the recipe.
- 4 tsp Instant Espresso Powder (8g)
- 2 T Boiling Water (30 ml)
- 160g (5.6 oz) Flour Farm Organic Gluten Free Flour Blend (1 1/2 C spoon & level)
- 1 1/2 tsp Aluminum Free, Double Acting Baking Powder (6g)
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda (2.5g)
- 1/2 tsp Xanthan Gum (2g) note: if skipping, the cake will slightly settle in the middle
- 1/2 tsp Ground Cinnamon (1.5g)
- 100g (3.5 oz) Mini Chocolate Chips (1/2 C)
- 2 Large Pasture Raised Eggs, room temp preferred (100g)
- 150g (5.3 oz) Cane Sugar (3/4 C)
- 220g (7.8 oz) Whole Milk Ricotta, room temp preferred (1 C)
- 118 ml (4 fl. oz) Neutral Oil, we use Avocado (1/2 C)
- 2 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract (10 ml)
- 1/2 tsp Extra Fine Pink Himalayan Salt (3g)
- 60g (2 oz) Mini Chocolate Chips (1/3 C)
- 1 T Turbinado (Coarse or Raw) Sugar (14g) optional
Equipment: Digital Scale (preferred), 8×8″ Square Pan or 9″ Round Springform or Cake Pan, Mixing Bowls, Measuring Cups and Spoons, Silicone Spatula, Cooling Rack
Before You Dive In – Prep: Please read!
- Bring eggs and ricotta to room temperature
- Grease 8×8″ square or 9″ round cake/springform pan, we use our non-stick Goop
- If not using a springform pan: line the baking dish with a strip of parchment that hangs over the edge by at least two inches on each side to easily remove cake
- Move oven rack to center
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (177 C)
Step 1: In a small bowl, mix together espresso powder and water. Set aside.
Step 2: Whisk together the dry ingredients in a medium bowl.
Step 3: In a large bowl, whisk together eggs and sugar until frothy. Add in the espresso mix and the rest of the wet ingredients. Whisk until well blended.
Step 4: Add the dry ingredients and whisk until blended.
Step 5: Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan. Tap the pan gently on the counter a few times to release air bubbles. Smooth out the top. Sprinkle chocolate chips reserved for the topping and optional turbinado sugar over the surface.
Step 6: Place pan in the middle of a preheated 350F/177C oven and bake for about 35 minutes. A toothpick inserted in the center should come out clean.
Step 7: Remove cake from the oven and place the pan on a cooling rack. Cool for at least 30 minutes before transferring cake to a serving platter. Serve warm with ice cream on the side.
Cake stores well in the refrigerator for up to four days. Freeze for up to a month. Reheat in a 300 F (150 C) oven until warm through.
The nutrition information provided below is for the recipe as written with the optional turbinado sugar on top. Each slice weighs about 60g (2 oz).
- Category: cake
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 230
- Sugar: 15g
- Sodium: 190mg
- Fat: 14g
- Saturated Fat: 4.5g
- Unsaturated Fat: 9.5g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 25g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 4g
- Cholesterol: 30mg
Keywords: gluten free espresso cake with chocolate chips