Equipment: Digital Scale (preferred), 2- 9″ Round Cake Pans, Mixing Bowls, Whisk, Stand Mixer with Paddle Attachment or Electric Mixer, Measuring Spoons & Cups, Rubber Spatula, Unbleached Parchment, Cooling Rack
Substitutions: Do you need to swap out an ingredient? Click here.
Before You Dive In – Prep:
- Bring eggs, butter and sour cream to room temperature
- Boil the water
- Move oven rack to center
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (177 C)
- Line the bottom of pan(s) with parchment and apply non-stick spray (click the link for our non-stick baking Goop recipe)
Choose Gluten Free, Non-GMO & Organic Ingredients.
- 360g (12.7 oz) Flour Farm Organic Gluten Free Flour Blend (3 1/3 C)
- 1 tsp Baking Soda (6g)
- 1 tsp Aluminum Free, Double Acting Baking Powder (4g)
- 1 tsp Xanthan Gum (3g)
- 3/4 tsp Extra Fine Pink Himalayan Salt (4.5g)
- 76g (2.7 oz) Unsweetened Cocoa Powder (3/4 C)
- 1 tsp Espresso Powder (2g)
- 177 ml (6 fl oz) Boiling Hot Water (3/4 C)
- 340g (12 oz) Salted Butter, room temperature (3 sticks or 1 1/2 C)
- 450g (15.9 oz) Cane Sugar (2 1/4 C)
- 4 Extra Large, or 4.5 Large Pasture Raised Eggs (255g)
- 4 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract (20 ml) or use a combination of vanilla and chocolate extracts
Please read prep note above before you begin, thank you!
Step 1: Whisk together the dry ingredients in a medium bowl. Set aside.
Step 2: Whisk together the chocolate ingredients in a separate small bowl or measuring cup. Set aside.
Step 3: Add the butter and sugar to a stand up mixer fitted with a paddle attachment or large mixing bowl. Cream together for three minutes on medium speed. Scrape down the bowl with a rubber spatula.
Step 4: Add eggs one at a time, beating after each egg. Scrape down the bowl. Add the vanilla, beat until combined and then scrape again.
Step 5: Turn the mixer to low and add the chocolate mix. Slowly add half of the flour mix, beat until combined. Then add all of the sour cream and beat until combined. Add the rest of the flour and beat until combined.
Step 6: Turn the mixer off and use a rubber spatula to scrape down the sides of the bowl and fold the batter until it is well mixed. Make sure you pull up any unmixed batter from the bottom of the bowl and fold it in.
Step 7: Pour the batter evenly into two prepared 9″ round cake pans. bake in the center of the oven for 30-35 minutes. A toothpick inserted in the center should come out clean.
Step 8: Remove from the oven and cool cakes in their pans for 30 minutes. Invert onto cooling racks and continue to cool completely. Cake stores well, unfrosted, for up two days if tightly covered at room temperature.
Frosting: Ina Garten published a Coffee Meringue Buttercream frosting to accompany her original recipe. Click here to check it out.
The nutrition information provided below is for the recipe as written. Each piece of cake weighs about 100g or 3.5 oz.
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 410
- Sugar: 30g
- Sodium: 400mg
- Fat: 23g
- Saturated Fat: 13g
- Unsaturated Fat: 10g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 49g
- Fiber: 4g
- Protein: 5g
- Cholesterol: 105mg
Keywords: Gluten Free Devils Chocolate Cake