Equipment: Digital Scale (preferred), Baking Sheets or 9×5″ Loaf Pans, Mixing Bowls (m, l), Whisk, Sturdy Mixing Spoon, Measuring Spoons & Cups, Cutting Board, Sharp Knife, Unbleached Parchment, Cooling Rack
Substitutions: Do you need to swap out an ingredient? Click here.
Before You Dive In – Prep:
- Bring eggs to room temperature
- Toast nuts & cool (bake in a single layer on a baking sheet at 325 F/163 C for 10-15 minutes)
- Roughly chop nuts to desired size
- Zest a lemon or orange
- Move oven rack to center
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit (163 C)
- Prepare loaf pans, if using
Choose Gluten Free, Non-GMO & Organic Ingredients.
- 270g (9.5 oz) Flour Farm Organic Gluten Free Flour Blend (2 1/2 C – 2 tsp)
- 1 1/2 tsp Aluminum Free, Double Acting Baking Powder (7g)
- 1/2 tsp Extra Fine Pink Himalayan Salt (3g)
- 77g (2.7 oz) Unrefined Coconut Sugar (1/2 C)
- 150g (5.3 oz) Light Brown Sugar (3/4 C)
- 138g (4.7 oz) Roasted & Chopped Nuts (1 C)
- 1/2 C Chopped Dried Fruit – optional (weight will vary with fruit choice)
- 3 Large Pasture Raised Eggs (150g)
- 133 ml (4.5 fl oz) Avocado Oil, or oil of choice, (1/2 C + 1 T)
- 1 tsp Pure Almond Extract (5 ml)
- 1 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract (5 ml)
- 1 tsp Zest of Lemon or Orange (2g)
Please read prep note above before you begin, thank you!
Step 1: Whisk together dry ingredients in a medium size bowl.
Step 2: Whisk in nuts and dried fruit (if using). Set aside.
Step 3: In a separate large bowl, whisk together eggs, oil, extracts and zest.
Step 4: Add flour mixture to wet mixture and thoroughly combine with a heavy spoon.
Step 5: Scoop out the dough into two even vertical logs on a parchment lined baking sheet. Shape dough with wet hands into two smooth logs (see pics). Leave about 4 inches between each log, and keep the height of each log at about 1.5″ (3.8 cm). Alternatively, scoop dough evenly into two 9×5″ prepared loaf pans.
Step 6: Bake for 30 minutes. Remove from the pan and cool the entire pan on a cooling rack for 30 min to 1 hour.
Step 7: Move logs, one at a time, to a cutting board (I cut the parchment in half and move the log on the parchment to the cutting board.) Cut cookies at an angle, 1/2″ to 3/4″ (1.25 – 2 cm) thick.
Second Bake (Some people prefer not to second bake – no problem! Skip steps 8 & 9.)
Step 8: Gently transfer cookies onto another baking sheet, (we use a rimless cookie sheet to make transfer easier.) You can either bake them “standing up” or on their side. If baking on their flat bottom side standing up, bake for about 10-20 minutes depending on how crunchy you like your cookies. We like our cookies baked for 15 minutes. If you bake cookies on their side to get a crunchier effect, gently turn cookies over to the other side after 10 minutes in the oven and bake until done. The longer you keep the cookies in the oven, the crunchier they will be.
Step 9: Remove from oven and cool on the pan for 10 minutes. Transfer to a cooling rack until fully cooled.
Fruit Tips: We like to use unsweetened fruit whenever possible. The tartness of dried, unsweetened cranberries can be a bit much for some people. To remedy this, I soak my berries for about 15 minutes in 1 cup of hot water with a teaspoon of dissolved sugar. Squeeze excess water out of berries before adding to recipe.
Fun Idea: Melt chocolate and dip or drizzle over biscotti for a decadent treat.
Nutrition information provided below is for the recipe as written using organic almonds and cranberries sweetened in 1 tsp of dissolved monk fruit sugar.
- Serving Size: 1 cookie
- Calories: 120
- Sugar: 7g
- Sodium: 55mg
- Fat: 7g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Unsaturated Fat: 6g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 13g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 2g
- Cholesterol: 15mg
Keywords: gluten free biscotti almond fruit italian cookies