Celebrate fall with Flour Farm’s baked gluten free Apple Cider Doughnuts. Lightly sweet and spiced with cinnamon, we dare you to eat just one! Share the love.
Choose Gluten Free, Non-GMO & Organic Ingredients.
Substitutions: Do you need to swap out an ingredient? Click here for suggestions.
Note: If clicking the 2X or 3X scale boxes to the right, please know that weights listed in parentheses below may or may not change. Please take care to check amounts if increasing the recipe.
- 125g (4.4 oz) Flour Farm Organic Gluten Free Flour Blend (1 C + 2 T spoon & level)
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda (2g)
- 1/4 + 1/8 tsp Aluminum Free, Double Acting Baking Powder (1.5g)
- 3/4 tsp Apple Pie Spice (3g) see notes below for recipe
- 1/2 tsp Ground Cinnamon (1.5g)
- 1/4 tsp Xanthan Gum (1g)
- 1/8 tsp Extra Fine Pink Himalayan Salt (pinch)
- 50g (1.8 oz) Light Brown Cane Sugar (packed 1/4 C)
- 50g (1.8 oz) Cane Sugar (1/4 C)
- 59 ml (2 fl oz) Milk, room temp or warm (1/4 C)
- 59 ml (2 fl oz) Apple Cider, room temp or warm (1/4 C)
- 1 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar (5 ml)
- 1/2 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract (2.5 ml)
- 1/2 Large Pasture Raised Egg (25g)
- 1 T Neutral Oil, we use Avocado Oil (15 ml)
- 3 T Butter or Coconut Oil, melted & cooled (42g)
Apple Cinnamon Sugar Coating
This blend must be used immediately after mixing or stored in an airtight container. It absorbs moisture like a sponge!
- 14g (.5 oz) Freeze Dried Apples, powdered
- 100g (3.5 oz) Superfine Cane Sugar (scant 1/2 C)
- 1/4 tsp Ground Cinnamon (1g)
- 1/4 tsp Fennel Pollen, optional (1g)
- Small pinch Extra Fine Pink Himalayan Salt
Cinnamon Sugar Coating
- 100g Cane Sugar (1/2 C)
- 2 tsp Ground Cinnamon (6g) or more to taste
Equipment: Digital scale (preferred,) Doughnut pans, Mixing bowls, Measuring cups & spoons, Whisk, Spoon, Cooling rack
Before You Dive In – Prep: Please read!
- Bring egg, milk and cider to room temp, (preferred)
- Make Apple Pie Spice, if using homemade – see notes below for recipe
- Grind freeze dried apples into powder, if using, note: store in an airtight container until ready to use
- Grease muffin pans, we use our non-stick baking Goop
- Heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (177 C)
Step 1: Whisk together the dry ingredients in a medium bowl.
Step 2: In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients.
Step 3: Add the dry mix to the wet, and whisk to thoroughly combine.
Step 4: Spoon batter evenly into prepared doughnut pans – do not fill more than half way. You should have 12 doughnuts if using regular sized wells. Bake in a preheated 350 F/177C oven for about 9 minutes. A toothpick inserted in the center will come out clean.
Step 5: Allow to cool in the pan(s) for a few minutes before releasing. Continue to cool completely on a rack until ready to sugar coat or eat naked.
Step 6: While doughnuts are cooling prepare the sugar coating. Combine (whisk) ingredients for either the Apple Cinnamon Sugar and/or the Cinnamon Sugar coatings. To coat, brush melted butter onto a doughnut and then place in the dish with the sugar coating. Use a spoon to coat the entire doughnut. We use a chopstick to move the doughnut from the sugar to the cooling rack. Extra sugar will fall below the spaces.
Note: Doughnuts are best eaten right away, especially if coated in sugar. Store up to an additional day in a container with a loose fitting lid to avoid soggy doughnuts. Freeze uncoated for up to a month.
Apple Pie Spice: To make your own apple pie spice, whisk together the following in a small bowl: 4 tsp ground cinnamon, 2 tsp ground nutmeg, 1 tsp ground cardamom. Store in an airtight container.
Freeze Dried Apples: We buy granny smith freeze dried apples from Nuts.com (not affiliated).
The nutrition information provided below is for the recipe as written without sugar coatings. Each doughnut weighs approximately 30g or 1 oz.
- Category: doughnuts
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 doughnut
- Calories: 90
- Sugar: 10g
- Sodium: 95mg
- Fat: 2.5g
- Saturated Fat: 0g
- Unsaturated Fat: 2.5g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 17g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 1g
- Cholesterol: 10mg
Keywords: baked gluten free apple cider doughnuts