This recipe offers a cheesy twist on a classic Italian Meatball recipe – straight from Nan. Skip the skillet and bake in the oven, or drop into sauce and finish cooking. It’s all good!
Choose Gluten Free, Non-GMO & Organic Ingredients.
Substitutions: Do you need to swap out an ingredient? Click here for suggestions.
Note: If clicking the 2X or 3X scale boxes to the right, please know that weights listed in parentheses below may or may not change. Please take care to check amounts if increasing the recipe.
- 454g (16 oz) Grass Fed Ground Beef (1 lb)
- 1 Extra Large Pasture Raised Egg (60g)
- 15g (.5 oz) Fresh Parsley, chopped (1/4 C or about 15g) note: chop extra for garnish
- 28g (1 oz) Pecorino Romano Cheese or Parmesan, grated (1/4 C)
- 36g (1.3 oz) Gluten Free Breadcrumbs (1/4 C we use our recipe)
- 3 Medium Crimini Mushrooms, stemmed and finely chopped (60g)
- 28g (1 oz) Cheddar, Provolone or Monterey Jack Cheese, finely grated (1/4 C)
- 1/2 tsp Extra Fine Pink Himalayan Salt or Borsari Seasoning Salt (3g)
- 1/4 tsp Ground Black Pepper (.5g)
- 1/8 tsp Powdered Garlic (pinch)
- 2–3 T Oil for saute, we use Avocado Oil, the oil should cover the bottom of the pan
- 1/2 Small Onion, sliced or chopped
- 1–2 Cloves Garlic, minced
Equipment: Digital scale (preferred,) 10″ Skillet, Large bowl, Measuring cups & spoons, Tongs, Receiving plate, Baking sheet, Unbleached parchment
Before You Dive In – Prep: Please read!
- Make breadcrumbs
- Chop herbs, onion, garlic and mushrooms
- Shred cheese
- Lay a piece of unbleached parchment on a baking sheet
- Line a plate with a paper towel
Step 1: Mix all of the “meatball” ingredients in a large bowl, (do not add the ingredients listed under “skillet”.) Use your hands to fully integrate if necessary.
Step 2: Roll meatballs into desired sized and set them on the sheet of unbleached parchment. We roll 14 meatballs weighing about 2 oz each.
Step 3: Add the oil to the skillet and heat on medium-high. Keep the oil under the smoking point. Add the onion and saute until tender. Add the garlic and saute for a minute more. Gently place the meatballs over the onion and garlic evenly around the skillet.
Step 4: Cook the meatballs for about 20-30 minutes. The length of time will depend on the size of your meatballs. Turn them frequently to brown on all sides. After browning, cover for a few minutes to make sure meatballs are thoroughly cooked inside.
Note: If adding to sauce, skip the cover and add to sauce to finish cooking. This will impart a rich flavor to your tomato sauce.
Step 5: Remove meatballs from the skillet and place on the paper towel lined place to drain. Serve warm, and garnish with chopped parsley if desired.
Place baking sheet with prepared meatballs in the center of a preheated 400F/200 C oven and bake until cooked through – about 20 to 30 minutes depending on the size of your meatballs. Remove from oven and drain on a paper towel lined plate. Garnish and serve warm.
Note: If you plan to add meatballs to sauce, do not cook completely. Remove from oven after meatballs appear browned and then drop into the sauce to finish cooking.
The nutrition information provided below is for the recipe as written using cheddar cheese before cooking. Each meatball weighs approx 50g/1.8 oz.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Beef
- Method: Browning
- Cuisine: Italian
- Serving Size: 1 meatball
- Calories: 110
- Sugar: 0g
- Sodium: 135mg
- Fat: 8g
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Unsaturated Fat: 5g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 3g
- Fiber: 0g
- Protein: 7g
- Cholesterol: 40mg
Keywords: tasty gluten free meatballs