How to make gluten free Apple Crisp that will make your grandmother proud enough to share it.
Choose Gluten Free, Organic & Non-GMO Ingredients.
Substitutions: Do you need to swap out an ingredient? Click here for suggestions.
- 2 T Cane Sugar or packed Light Brown Sugar (28g)
- 1 tsp Ground Cinnamon (2.5g), use more or less to taste
- 1/4 tsp Ground Cardamom (.5g optional – see note below for spice variations)
- 907g (2 lb) Firm Apples, peeled (optional) and cut into 1/2″ chunks (after you core/peel the apples, you should have about 1.5 lbs of apples. We use many different varieties in a batch.)
- 1 T Lemon Juice (15 ml)
- 105g (3.7 oz) Light Brown Sugar (1/2 C packed)
- 72g (2.5 oz) Old Fashioned Oats (3/4 C)
- 1 tsp Ground Cinnamon (2.5g)
- 1 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract (5 ml)
- 84g (3 oz) Flour Farm Organic Gluten Free Flour Blend (3/4 C)
- 113g (4 oz) Cold Butter or Nondairy Butter (1/2 C or 1 stick)
- Pinch of Extra Fine Pink Himalayan Salt (omit if using salted butter)
Equipment: Digital Scale (preferred,) 8×8″ Baking Pan, Whisk, Mixing Bowls, Measuring Cups and Spoons, Silicone Spatula, Grater, Knife, Cutting Board, Non-Stick Spray or Goop, Cooling Rack
Before You Dive In – Prep:
- Cut apples into uniform sized pieces about 1″ (2.5 cm)
- Move oven rack to center
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (177 C)
- Grease 8×8″ pan with non-stick spray, butter or our baking Goop
Step 1: In a small bowl, mix together the sugar and spices.
Step 2: In a separate medium bowl, add the chopped apples. Sprinkle the lemon juice and stir. Sprinkle the sugar and spice blend and stir to combine. Pour into a prepared baking dish.
Step 3: In the same (or clean) mixing bowl, add brown sugar, oats and cinnamon. Stir to combine. Add the vanilla and use your hands to integrate the vanilla into the mix. Add the flour (and salt if using,) and stir to combine.
Step 4: Grate the cold butter into the bowl and use your hands to combine and knead the butter into the dry blend. The topping will become thick and chunky. Use your hands to evenly drop blobs of topping over the apples. You will have enough to cover the surface.
Step 5: Bake in the center of a preheated 350 F/177 C oven for 40-50 minutes, until golden brown and bubbly. Place pan on a cooling rack and serve warm with ice cream and/or caramel sauce.
The nutrition information provided below is for the recipe as written using unpeeled apples and organic salted butter. Each serving weighs about 100g (3.5 oz).
Variations: Feel free to add a touch of cardamon, ginger, nutmeg, ground cloves, allspice, or any warming fall spice that you prefer with your apples. Have fun!
- Cuisine: Dessert
- Serving Size: 1 scoop
- Calories: 230
- Sugar: 22g
- Sodium: 80mg
- Fat: 11g
- Saturated Fat: 6g
- Unsaturated Fat: 5g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 32g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 1g
- Cholesterol: 25mg
Keywords: Gluten Free Old Fahioned Grammy's Apple Crisp