How to make gluten free Apple Crisp that will make your grandmother proud enough to share it.
Choose Gluten Free, Organic & Non-GMO Ingredients.
Note: If clicking the 2X or 3X scale boxes to the right, please know that weights listed in parentheses below may or may not change. Please take care to check amounts if increasing the recipe.
Substitutions: Do you need to swap out an ingredient? Click here for suggestions.
- 2 T Cane Sugar or packed Light Brown Sugar (28g)
- 1 tsp Ground Cinnamon (2.5g), use more or less to taste
- 1/4 tsp Ground Cardamom (.5g) optional – see note below for spice variations
- 907g (2 lb) Firm Apples, peeled (optional) and cut into 1/2″ – 1″ chunks (after you core/peel the apples, you should have about 1.5 lbs of apples. We use many different varieties in a batch)
- 1 T Lemon Juice (15 ml)
- 105g (3.7 oz) Light Brown Sugar (1/2 C packed)
- 72g (2.5 oz) Old Fashioned Oats (3/4 C)
- 1 tsp Ground Cinnamon (2.5g)
- 1 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract (5 ml)
- 84g (3 oz) Flour Farm Organic Gluten Free Flour Blend (3/4 C)
- Pinch of Extra Fine Pink Himalayan Salt (omit if using salted butter)
- 113g (4 oz) Cold Butter or Nondairy Butter (1/2 C or 1 stick)
Equipment: Digital Scale (preferred,) 8×8″ Baking Pan, Whisk, Mixing Bowls, Measuring Cups and Spoons, Silicone Spatula, Grater, Knife, Cutting Board, Non-Stick Spray or Goop, Cooling Rack
Before You Dive In – Prep: please read!
- Wash, core and peel (optional) apples
- Cut apples into uniform sized pieces about 1/2″ – 1″ (1.25-2.5 cm)
- Move oven rack to center
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (177 C)
- Grease 8×8″ pan with non-stick spray, butter or our baking Goop
Step 1: In a small bowl, mix together the sugar and spices.
Step 2: Add chopped apples to the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle the lemon juice and stir. Sprinkle the sugar and spice blend and stir to combine. Set aside.
Step 3: In a medium bowl, add brown sugar, oats and cinnamon. Stir to combine. Add the vanilla and stir. Add the flour and salt. Stir to combine.
Step 4: Grate the cold butter directly into the bowl and use your hands to combine and knead the butter into the dry blend. The topping will become thick and chunky. Use your hands to evenly drop blobs of topping over the apples. You will have enough to cover the surface.
Step 5: Bake in the center of a preheated 350 F/177 C oven for 40-50 minutes, until golden brown and bubbly. Place pan on a cooling rack and serve warm with ice cream and/or caramel sauce.
Crisp is best eaten warm. Refrigerate covered for up to three days and gently reheat before serving.
The nutrition information provided below is for the recipe as written using unpeeled apples and organic salted butter. Each serving weighs about 100g (3.5 oz).
Variations: Feel free to add a touch of apple pie spice, ginger, nutmeg, ground cloves, allspice, or any spice that you prefer with your apples. Additionally, we have made this crisp with other fruits paired with apples. Our favorite is apple apricot. Have fun!
- Category: apples
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: Dessert
- Serving Size: 1 scoop
- Calories: 230
- Sugar: 22g
- Sodium: 80mg
- Fat: 11g
- Saturated Fat: 6g
- Unsaturated Fat: 5g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 32g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 1g
- Cholesterol: 25mg
Keywords: Gluten Free Grammy's Apple Crisp