Gluten free Sourdough Skillet Bread – the easiest GF flatbread recipe you will ever make! Crispy, yet airy. Adapt it to make it totally your own. Make it vegan!
Choose Gluten Free, Non-GMO & Organic Ingredients.
Substitutions: Do you need to swap out an ingredient? Click here for suggestions.
Note: If clicking the 2X or 3X scale boxes to the right, please know that weights listed in parentheses below may or may not change. Please take care to check amounts if increasing the recipe.
- 148 ml (5 fl. oz) Water, room temp (1/2 C + 2 T)
- 227g (8 oz) Gluten Free Sourdough Starter, 100% Hydration, unfed preferred for more flavor and room temp (1 C)
- 108g (3.8 oz) Flour Farm Organic Gluten Free Flour Blend (1 C spoon & level)
- 1 tsp Xanthan Gum (4g) or 1 T Psyllium Husk (5g whole, not the powder)
- 1 tsp Aluminum Free, Double Acting Baking Powder (4.5g)
- 1/4 tsp Onion Powder (1g)
- 1/8 tsp Cayenne Powder (pinch)
- 1/2 tsp Extra Fine Pink Himalayan Salt (3g) note: if not adding cheese, you may add additional salt to taste
Add-Ins (optional choices)
- 2 T chopped, Fresh Herbs
- 1 Medium Scallion, white and light green parts, minced
- 1 Clove Garlic, minced
- 2 T chopped Sundried Tomato
- 2 T chopped Kalamata Olives
- 25g (1 oz) grated Parmesan Cheese, or grated/shredded cheese of choice or Nutritional Yeast, (1/4 C)
Toppings (optional choices)
- Cheese of choice, shredded or grated
- Fresh Garlic, minced
- Dried Herbs
- Nutritional Yeast
- Olive Oil
- 2 T High Heat Oil, such as Avocado (30 ml)
Equipment: Digital scale, (preferred,) 10″ Oven Proof Skillet, Mixing bowls, Measuring cups & spoons, Whisk, Silicone spatula, Cooling rack, Knife, Cutting board
Before You Dive In – Prep: Please read!
- Bring sourdough starter to room temp, (click on the link to our GF starter recipe)
- Chop add-ins, if using
- Grate cheese, if using
- Move oven rack to center
Make Skillet Bread!
Step 1: Add the oil to the skillet and place the pan in the center of a cold oven. Turn the temperature to 425 F/220 C and preheat the oven and skillet together.
Step 2: In a small bowl, add the warm water and sourdough starter. Set aside.
Step 3: In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients. Add in any extra ingredients from the “add-in” list above, and whisk to combine.
Step 4: Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Set aside until the oven reaches full temperature.
Step 5: Carefully remove the smokin’ hot skillet from the oven and place on the stove top. Pour in the batter. Quickly spread and smooth it to the edges of the pan with the silicone spatula. Top, or drizzle with olive oil, if desired.
Step 6: Return the skillet to the oven uncovered. Bake for 20 minutes. The sides of the bread will turn a dark golden brown and the top will start to bubble. You can remove it from the oven, (see step 8,) or broil for a more golden top, (see next step).
Step 7: Turn off the heat and turn on the broiler to low. Watch the bread! Don’t step away as it only takes 1-3 minutes to brown the top to your desired taste.
Step 8: Remove from the oven and place on the stove top for a few minutes. Transfer bread to a cooling rack or a cutting board if eating right away.
Store in a covered container on the counter for up to 2 days, or freeze for up to a month. Reheat on a baking sheet in a 300F/150 C oven.
The nutrition information provided below is for the recipe as written using the add-ins, (Parmesan, herbs, scallion,) without toppings. Each piece of bread weighs approximately 50g/1.8 oz.
- Category: sourdough bread
- Method: skillet
- Cuisine: american
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 120
- Sugar: 0g
- Sodium: 190mg
- Fat: 4.5g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Unsaturated Fat: 3.5g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 18g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 2g
- Cholesterol: 5mg
Keywords: gluten free sourdough skillet bread