Mop, sop and bite into our crusty, gluten free Peasant rolls. Bake a batch and share the love.
Choose Gluten Free, Non-GMO & Organic Ingredients.
Substitutions: Do you need to swap out an ingredient? Click here for suggestions.
Note: If clicking the 2X or 3X scale boxes to the right, please know that weights listed in parentheses below may or may not change. Please take care to check amounts if increasing the recipe.
- 1 1/2 tsp Guar Gum (5g)
- 1 tsp Xanthan Gum (3.5g)
- If using Tara Gum, omit Guar and Xanthan Gums and use 3 tsp of Tara – Do not hydrate. Add to dry blend.
- 296 ml (10 fl. oz) Filtered Water – Room Temp or Lukewarm (1 1/4 C) note: if using Active yeast, reduce water to 8 oz and see note next to yeast below
- 4 Large Pasture Raised Egg Whites (120g)
- 2 T Oil – we use Avocado Oil (30 ml)
- 1 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar (5 ml)
- 255g (9 oz) Flour Farm Organic Gluten Free Flour Blend (2 1/3 C + 1 tsp spoon & level)
- 85g (3 oz) Potato Starch (1/2 C spoon & level)
- 2 1/4 tsp Instant or Rapid Rise Yeast (7.5g) note: if you only have Active yeast, place yeast in 2 oz of warm water with a pinch of sugar to activate and reduce water above to 8 oz. Allow to bloom for 15 minutes.
- 2 T Cane Sugar (28g)
- 1 T Ground Golden Flax Seed (7g)
- 1 1/2 tsp Pamona’s Universal Pectin (5g)
- 1 tsp Extra Fine Pink Himalayan Salt (6g)
- 1/2 tsp Aluminum Free, Double Acting Baking Powder (2.5g)
- Optional, but Preferred: 1 T Acacia Powder (7g)
- Optional, but Preferred: 1/8 tsp Vitamin C Powder (pinch of ascorbic acid)
- 236 ml (8 fl. oz) Hot Tap Water (1 C)
Equipment: Digital Scale (preferred), Baking Stone or Rimless Baking Sheet, 12 Well Muffin Pan(s), Dough Whisk or Stand Mixer with Paddle Attachment, Measuring Spoons & Cups, Mixing Bowls, Unbleached Parchment, Tongs, Cooling Rack, Instant Read Digital Thermometer (preferred)
Before You Dive In – Prep: Please read!
- Warm water to 100 F/38 C
- Bring eggs to room temperature and separate
- Dust muffin wells lightly with flour
- Move oven rack to center for baking
- Place an oven proof tray that will hold at least 1 cup of water on the bottom rack or on the floor of the oven
Step 1: Whisk gums, (not Tara gum,) rapidly into the warm water for about 30 seconds. If the mix is a bit lumpy – that’s OK. Set aside.
Step 2: Add egg whites, oil and vinegar to a small bowl or to the bowl that attaches to the stand mixer. If using a dough whisk (this is what we do,) beat ingredients together with a fork or small whisk until frothy and skip the rest of step two. If using a stand mixer, secure the bowl to the mixer and attach the paddle. Turn the mixer onto low and mix until frothy. Do not make meringue! We let the machine do its thing while we mix up the dry ingredients.
Step 3: In a separate bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients. Use a large bowl if whisking by hand with a dough whisk.
Step 4: If using a dough whisk, make a well in the center of the dry blend and add the wet gums and the egg mix, (also add the wet active yeast if you used that.) Whisk briskly until all the flour is wet and incorporated. Use your hands to knead the dough in the bowl into a ball. If using a stand mixer, add the gum mixture, (and active yeast if you used it,) to the frothy egg whites. Continue to blend on low for about 30 seconds. Spoon in the dry blend. Mix until flour is completely incorporated. Turn the mixer off and scrape down the sides of the bowl. Knead the dough in the bowl to form a ball.
Step 5: Evenly divide the dough into 12 balls and place each ball of dough into the floured wells of the muffin pan. This is easily done using an ice cream scoop. We use a 2 oz, #16, Blue Scoop. Scoop the dough and then level it off in the scoop. Cover the pan with parchment or cling and allow rolls to rise in a warm area for 1-2 hours. Rolls will peek over the edge of the pan when ready, (this dough doesn’t double in size, it puffs up). You may also put the covered pan in the refrigerator for up to two days. If refrigerated, remove from the chiller and allow to sit at room temp for at least an hour before baking.
Step 6: Preheat oven: Check to make sure that the baking stone (or rimless baking sheet,) is placed in the center of the oven. The oven proof pan must be placed on the bottom rack or on the floor of the oven. Set temperature to 450 F/232 C. The oven needs to be good and hot before placing the rolls inside. Heat for a good 45 minutes before baking rolls.
Step 7: When rolls have risen, place a sheet of parchment over the top of the pan and invert onto a rimless baking sheet or baking peel. You may also unceremoniously dump them onto a sheet of parchment and arrange them evenly spaced apart :). Slash the tops to vent. BTW it does not matter which side (top or bottom of roll) is vented. The flour side on top will have that floured bread vibe.
Step 8: Slide the sheet of parchment with rolls onto the preheated baking stone or rimless baking sheet. Quickly pour the water for steam into the shallow tray and close the oven door. Bake for 30-35 minutes. Rolls will appear a deep golden brown when finished. The internal temperature should read at least 205 F/96 C.
Step 9: Remove rolls from the oven, (we use tongs,) and place on a cooling rack. Cool rolls for at least 30 minutes before serving. Store in a container with a loose fitting lid or in linen to avoid soggy rolls or freeze in a freezer safe container for up to a month.
Reheating: Rolls may be thawed on the counter overnight. To crisp and warm, place rolls on a baking sheet and heat in a 300 F/150 C oven. Cooking time will depend on how thawed/frozen your rolls are. Dave heats his frozen rolls for lunch in a microwave for 30 seconds, and loves them.
The nutrition information provided below is for the recipe as written using avocado oil. Each roll weighs approximately 58g (2 oz). Prep time does not include rise time, as it may vary.
- Category: bread
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: French
- Serving Size: 1 roll
- Calories: 160
- Sugar: 3g
- Sodium: 55mg
- Fat: 4.5g
- Saturated Fat: 0g
- Unsaturated Fat: 4.5g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 26g
- Fiber: 4g
- Protein: 3g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: gluten free peasant rolls