Feeling naughty? This rich and delicious gluten free Double Chocolate Whisky Cake is your answer. Dust the cake with powdered sugar or go all out and frost with a dash of whisky added to whipped cream. Don’t forget to top with tipsy cherries!
Choose Gluten Free, Non-GMO & Organic Ingredients.
Substitutions: Do you need to swap out an ingredient? Click here for suggestions.
Note: If clicking the 2X or 3X scale boxes to the right, please know that weights listed in parentheses below may or may not change. Please take care to check amounts if increasing the recipe.
- 118 ml (4 fl oz) Whisky, we use 4.5 fl oz of reduced whisky (see notes) + 1.5 oz whisky (1/2 C)
- 170g (6 oz) Butter, slice into tablespoons for ease of melting (1 1/2 sticks)
- 74g (2.6 oz) Unsweetened Cocoa, or Cocao our preference, (3/4 C spoon & level)
- 1 1/2 tsp Espresso powder (alternatively you can skip this and the water and use 1 1/2 C strong coffee)
- 355 ml (12 fl oz) Water (1 1/2 C) – use coffee instead of water if skipping the espresso powder
- 200g (7 oz) Cane Sugar (1 C)
- 150g (5.3 oz) Light Brown Cane Sugar (3/4 C)
- 3 Large Pasture Raised Eggs (150g)
- 2 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract (10 ml)
- 240g (8.5 oz) Flour Farm Organic Gluten Free Flour Blend (2 1/4 C spoon & level)
- 1 1/2 tsp Baking Soda (8g)
- 1 tsp Xanthan Gum (4g)
- 1/2 tsp Extra Fine Pink Himalayan Salt (3g) note: if using unsalted butter, increase to 3/4 tsp
- 1/4 tsp Ground Black Pepper (.5g)
- 1/8 tsp Ground Cloves (pinch)
- 113g (4 oz) Mini Chocolate Chips (1 C)
- Whisky Whipped Cream (8 fl oz heavy whipping cream or coconut cream, 1-2 T favorite sugar, whisky to taste- start with 2 tablespoons. Add together in a chilled bowl and whip to perfection)
- Powdered Sugar, use a sifter to dust on top of cake
- Tipsy Cherries, see notes below
Equipment: Digital Scale (preferred), 10″ Springform Pan, Small and Medium Saucepans, Large Bowl, Whisk, Measuring Cups and Spoons, Silicone Spatula, Cooling Rack
Before You Dive In – Prep: Please read!
- Reduce whisky, preferred (see notes)
- Grease springform pan and dust bottom and sides with unsweetened chocolate powder
- Move oven rack to center
- Preheat oven to 325 F (165 C)
Step 1: If you reduced the whisky, add straight whisky to equal 118 ml (4 fl oz or 1/2 C). Pour into a medium saucepan.
Step 2: In the medium saucepan with the whisky, add the butter, powdered chocolate, water and espresso powder (or coffee). Heat on low to melt the butter, whisking occasionally. Add the sugars and whisk to dissolve. Remove the pan from the heat and set on a cooling rack to cool completely, (refrigerate mix for about 15 minutes to speed up the process).
Step 3: In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, xanthan gum, salt, pepper, cloves and chocolate chips.
Step 4: In a small bowl whisk together the eggs and vanilla.
Step 5: When the chocolate mix has reached room temp, slowly whisk in egg mix.
Step 6: Whisk the combined wet mix into the dry mix. Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a spatula, and whisk a turn or two.
Step 7: Pour batter into the prepared springform pan and place in the center of a preheated 325 F/165 C oven. Bake for about one hour. Check for doneness after 55 minutes. A toothpick inserted in the center should come out clean.
Step 8: Remove cake from the oven and set on a cooling rack. Allow to completely cool before removing sides of pan. Dust, frost, or eat naked!
Store cake in a container for up to three days (we keep ours in the refrigerator.) Freeze unfrosted for up to a month.
Whisky Reduction: Add 148 ml (5 fl oz or 1/2 C + 2 T) whisky to a small sauce pan. Simmer on medium until reduced by half. The best way to do this is to add 2.5 oz of whisky to the pan, place a toothpick upright in the pan to mark the surface of whisky, pencil a dot there, and then fill the pan the rest of the way with whisky. Simmer until the surface of the whisky matches the dot on the toothpick. This method makes it easy to check when you have the right amount.
Tipsy Cherries: There are many brands that you can buy online, or you can make your own if you have fresh cherries. We like this recipe from GimmeSomeOven.
The nutrition information provided below is for the recipe as written using salted organic butter. Toppings are not included. Each serving weighs approx 125g/4.5 oz.
- Category: cake
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 400
- Sugar: 35
- Sodium: 370mg
- Fat: 18g
- Saturated Fat: 10g
- Unsaturated Fat: 8g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 54g
- Fiber: 5g
- Protein: 5g
- Cholesterol: 75mg
Keywords: gluten free double chocolate whisky cake