Equipment: Digital Scale (preferred), 6-8 qt Pot, 4 qt Pot with Lid, Steamer Basket, Measuring Cup & Spoons, Cutting Board, Knife, Serving Bowl, Sturdy Spoon, Mixing Bowls, Colander
Substitutions: Do you need to swap out an ingredient? Click here.
Before You Dive In – Prep:
- Prepare pasta according to package instructions to be tender (lightly overcooked, not al dente)
- Chop vegetables
- Finely chop herbs
- Shred or prepare protein such as tofu, seafood or chicken
- Steam eggs: Fill a large pot with about 1 inch (2.5 cm) of water. Place a steamer basket inside and top with a lid. Set the temperature to high and boil water. Add the eggs to the basket and cover. Continue to cook for 14 minutes. Immediately transfer eggs to ice water and allow to cool for 15 minutes. Peel and finely chop.
- 340g (12 oz) Dried Gluten Free Macaroni
- 5L (5 qt) Cold Water
- Extra Fine Pink Himalayan Salt
- 4 Large Pasture Raised Eggs, hard boiled, peeled & finely chopped (see prep note above)
- 170g (6 oz) Sour Cream (3/4 C)
- 170g (6 oz) Mayonnaise (3/4 C)
- 1 T Lemon Juice (15 ml)
- 1 T Dill Pickle Juice (15 ml)
- 2 tsp Dijon Mustard (10 ml)
- 2 T Green Onion, finely minced (12g) or Red Onion
- 1/4 C Fresh Herbs, finely chopped (parsley, chive, thyme…)
- 1 Rib Celery, chopped (40g)
- 1/8 tsp Garlic Powder, pinch or to taste
- 1/8 tsp Cayenne Powder, pinch or to taste
- 1/8 tsp Dry Mustard, pinch or to taste
- Extra Fine Pink Himalayan or Sea Salt and Ground Black Pepper, to taste (we like to add Borsari Seasoning Salt)
- Add to this salad 2 Cups combined, or more to taste, of your favorite vegetables and proteins
- We use spring combinations such as fresh peas, asparagus and bay shrimp. We also enjoy tuna, french green beans, and green apple. Be creative with your favorites and have fun!
- 1/2 C Cheese, diced or shredded (optional)
Please read prep note above above before you begin, thank you!
Step 1: Prepare pasta by boiling in salted water (to taste) until pasta is very tender. Do not cook al dente or the pasta salad will be crunchy by the time you serve it. It’s best to overcook GF macaroni for salad. Drain the pasta in a colander and rinse thoroughly with cold water. Set aside to drain.
Step 2: Combine all ingredients for the dressing in a medium sized bowl. Taste and adjust seasonings. Set aside to allow seasonings to marry.
Step 3: Pour cooled and drained pasta into a very large bowl. Stir in the add-ins until well mixed.
Step 4: Add 3/4 of the dressing to the pasta with a sturdy spoon. This should be enough dressing depending on the amount of add-ins (sometimes we get carried away and need all of the dressing.) Season to taste.
Note: Use the extra dressing to moisten leftover salad or as a veggie dip. Serve macaroni salad right away or cover and refrigerate until ready. Salad will keep well in the refrigerator for up to 3 days, unless you added seafood (eat the same day).
Egg Free Option: Omit eggs and add 3/4 C of cottage cheese.
The nutrition information below is for the recipe as written using 2 cups of mixed peas, asparagus, carrots and broccoli. We did not add cheese, extra salt or proteins for nutritional analysis. However, we did include all of the dressing.
- Category: Pasta
- Serving Size: 4 oz
- Calories: 290
- Sugar: 1g
- Sodium: 170mg
- Fat: 18g
- Saturated Fat: 4.5g
- Unsaturated Fat: 13.5
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 26g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 6g
- Cholesterol: 95mg
Keywords: gluten free pot luck creamy macaroni salad