It’s summer time and the heat is on! Make your life easier and whip up a batch of Gluten Free Macaroni Salad. Toss in whatever veggies, protein, nuts, fruits you have on hand to make your salad hearty and nutritious. Use the recommendations below as a guide.
Choose Gluten Free, Non-GMO & Organic Ingredients.
Substitutions: Do you need to swap out an ingredient? Click here.
Note: If clicking the 2X or 3X scale boxes to the right, please know that weights listed in parentheses below may or may not change. Please take care to check amounts if increasing the recipe.
- 340g (12 oz) Dried Gluten Free Macaroni
- 5L (5 qt) Cold Water
- Extra Fine Pink Himalayan Salt
- 4 Large Pasture Raised Eggs, hard boiled, peeled & finely chopped (see prep note above)
- 170g (6 oz) Sour Cream (3/4 C)
- 170g (6 oz) Mayonnaise (3/4 C)
- 1 T Lemon Juice (15 ml)
- 1 T Dill Pickle Juice (15 ml)
- 2 tsp Dijon Mustard (10 ml)
- 2 T Green Onion, finely minced (12g) or Red Onion
- 1/4 C Fresh Herbs, finely chopped (parsley, chive, thyme…)
- 1 Rib Celery, chopped (40g)
- 1/8 tsp Garlic Powder, pinch or to taste
- 1/8 tsp Cayenne Powder, pinch or to taste
- 1/8 tsp Dry Mustard, pinch or to taste
- Extra Fine Pink Himalayan or Sea Salt and Ground Black Pepper, to taste (we like to add Borsari Seasoning Salt)
- Add to this salad 2 Cups combined, or more to taste, of your favorite vegetables and proteins
- We use spring combinations such as fresh peas, asparagus and bay shrimp. We also enjoy tuna, french green beans, and green apple. Be creative with your favorites and have fun!
- 1/2 C Cheese, diced or shredded (optional)
Equipment: Digital Scale (preferred), 6-8 qt Pot, 4 qt Pot with Lid, Steamer Basket, Measuring Cup & Spoons, Cutting Board, Knife, Serving Bowl, Sturdy Spoon, Mixing Bowls, Colander
Before You Dive In – Prep: Please read
- Hard boil eggs and cool: Click on the link for our preferred method on how to steam eggs
- Chop vegetables, fruits, herbs
- Shred or prepare protein such as tofu, seafood or chicken
Step 1: Prepare pasta by boiling in salted water (to taste) until pasta is very tender. Do not cook al dente or the pasta salad will be crunchy by the time you serve it. It’s best to overcook GF macaroni a bit for salad. Drain the pasta in a colander and rinse thoroughly with cold water. Set aside to drain.
Step 2: Combine all ingredients for the dressing in a medium sized bowl. Taste and adjust seasonings. Set aside to allow seasonings to marry for about 10 minutes.
Step 3: Pour cooled and drained pasta into a very large bowl. Stir in the add-ins until well mixed.
Step 4: Add 3/4 of the dressing to the pasta with a sturdy spoon. This should be enough dressing depending on the amount of add-ins (sometimes we get carried away and need all of the dressing.) Season to taste.
Note: Use the extra dressing to moisten leftover salad or as a veggie dip. Serve macaroni salad right away or cover and refrigerate until ready. Salad will keep well in the refrigerator for up to 3 days, unless you added seafood (eat the same or next day).
Egg Free Option: Omit eggs and add 3/4 C of cottage cheese.
The nutrition information below is for the recipe as written using 2 cups of mixed peas, asparagus, carrots and broccoli. We did not add cheese, extra salt or proteins for nutritional analysis. However, we did include all of the dressing.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: pasta
- Method: chill
- Cuisine: american
- Serving Size: 4 oz
- Calories: 290
- Sugar: 1g
- Sodium: 170mg
- Fat: 18g
- Saturated Fat: 4.5g
- Unsaturated Fat: 13.5
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 26g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 6g
- Cholesterol: 95mg
Keywords: gluten free creamy macaroni salad