Enjoy thick, rich and creamy coconut filling paired with a crispy, flaky crust with every bite of our gluten free Coconut Cream Pie. Prepare the crust and whipped topping ahead of time, and pull the recipe together in less than a half hour. Place in the refrigerator to set and chill. Easy as pie!
Choose Gluten Free, Non-GMO & Organic Ingredients.
Substitutions: Do you need to swap out an ingredient? Click here for suggestions.
Note: If clicking the 2X or 3X scale boxes to the right, please know that weights listed in parentheses below may or may not change. Please take care to check amounts if increasing the recipe.
- 1 9″ Deep Dish GF Pie Crust – fully blind baked, and cooled (see note for recipe ideas)
- Pie crust may be made up to two days prior, and baked or left unbaked until ready. Tightly cover and refrigerate until ready to bake/fill.
- 4 Large pasture Raised Egg Yolks (80g)
- 30g (1 oz) Cornstarch (1/4 C)
- 397g (14 oz) Full Fat Coconut Milk – use the entire can, do not use coconut milk designed to be a beverage
- 236 ml (8 fl. oz) Half and Half (1 C)
- 100g (3.5 oz) Cane Sugar (1/2 C)
- 1/4 tsp Extra Fine Pink Himalyan Salt (1.5g)
- 80g (2.8 oz) Medium Shred, Unsweetened Coconut (1 C)
- 2 T Butter, softened (28g/1 oz)
- 1 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract (5 ml)
- 1/2 tsp Pure Coconut Extract (2.5 ml)
note: (amount of whipped cream will cover the entire pie, halve if only dollops are desired)
- 355 ml (12 fl. oz) Heavy Whipping Cream (1 1/2 C)
- 1 T Powdered Sugar (10g)
- 1/2 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract (2.5 ml)
- 1/4 tsp Pure Coconut Extract (1.25 ml)
- Optional: Toasted Shredded Coconut, Mini Chocolate Chips, Shredded Coconut
Equipment: Digital scale (preferred), Saucepan (m), Mixing Bowl, Measuring cups and spoons, Rubber spatula, Cooling rack
Before You Dive In – Prep:
- Prepare GF Pie Crust (fully blind bake and cool)
- Bring eggs to room temperature
- Make whipped cream: With an electric or stand mixer, whisk together heavy whipping cream, sugar, and extracts until stiff peaks form. Store in the refrigerator in an airtight container until ready to use.
Step 1: In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together egg yolks and corn starch. Set aside.
Step 2: In a medium saucepan, add coconut milk, half and half, sugar, and salt. Whisk to combine and bring to a boil. Continue to whisk frequently as mix boils for 2 minutes.
Step 3: Reduce heat to medium low. Remove about 120 ml (4 fl. oz or 1/2 C) of liquid from the pot and briskly whisk into the egg and cornstarch mix. You must whisk continuously and fast to prevent egg yolks from scrambling.
Step 4: Slowly pour egg yolk mixture into the saucepan. Whisk and cook on medium low for another 1 1/2 minutes. Be mindful that the mixture will bubble and may burst (so keep a safe distance.)
Step 5: Remove saucepan from the heat and stir in the coconut, butter, vanilla and coconut extract. Whisk or stir to combine. Pour the filling into the cooled crust. Use a rubber spatula to scrape it all out.
Step 6: Lay a sheet of plastic wrap or unbleached parchment (cut to fit the surface) directly onto the cream mixture to cover. This prevents a skin from forming on the surface of the pie.
Step 7: Chill at least three hours (preferably overnight). Top with whipped cream and garnish.
Store: Coconut cream pie will store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. If you plan to freeze, the cream must be completely cooled in the crust before freezing. Provide additional covering over the surface, and store in an airtight, freezer safe container for up to a month.
Pie Crusts: We like to use either our GF Flaky Pie Crust or GF Tender Pie Crust for this recipe. This link will take you to our Desserts & Sweets page where the pie crust recipes are located. We use the sweetened version of each crust (added vanilla and sugar to the crust.) Blind bake instructions are provided at each recipe page.
The nutrition information provided below is for the recipe as written using lightly salted organic butter and our GF Tender Pie Crust. The whipped topping is not included in the analysis. Each slice weighs approximately 144g (5 oz).
Prep time does not include pie crust preparation or chill time.
- Category: Pie
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 500
- Sugar: 22g
- Sodium: 330mg
- Fat: 34g
- Saturated Fat: 23g
- Unsaturated Fat: 11g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 45g
- Fiber: 5g
- Protein: 5g
- Cholesterol: 140mg
Keywords: Gluten Free Coconut Cream Pie