Tender, sturdy & easy to make – gluten free Burger Buns. Top with toasted sesame seeds to add that extra savory crunch.
Choose Gluten Free, Non-GMO & Organic Ingredients.
Substitutions: Do you need to swap out an ingredient? Click here for suggestions.
Note: If clicking the 2X or 3X scale boxes to the right, please know that weights listed in parentheses below may or may not change. Please take care to check amounts if increasing the recipe.
- 420g (14.8 oz) Flour Farm GF Bonus Flour Blend, click on link or read blog for recipe (3 1/2 C – 1 T spoon & level)
- 1/8 tsp Extra Fine Pink Himalayan Salt (pinch)
- 1/2 tsp Aluminum Free, Double Acting Baking Powder (2.5g)
- 355 ml (12 fl. oz) Whole Milk, warmed (1 1/2 C)
- 1 tsp Cane Sugar (4g)
- 2 1/4 tsp Dry Active Yeast (7g or 1 packet) – if using instant yeast, add directly to dry ingredients
- 2 T Salted Butter, melted and cooled (28g or 1 oz)
- 1 T Apple Cider Vinegar (15 ml)
- 1 Large Pasture Raised Egg (50g) + 1 Egg White, lightly beaten (30g)
- 1 Large Pasture Raised Egg, beaten (50g)
- Sesame Seeds, toasted or untoasted (optional)
Equipment: Digital Scale (preferred), Mini-cake Pan, Stand Mixer or Electric Hand Mixer, Mixing Bowls, Measuring Cups & Spoons, Silicone Spatula, Pastry Brush
Before You Dive In – Prep: Please read!
- Bring eggs to room temperature
- Warm milk in microwave or on the stove top to lukewarm (about 95 F/35 C)
- Melt and cool butter
- Move oven rack to center
Step 1: Add cane sugar to the warmed milk. Stir to dissolve and add yeast. Stir and set aside.
Step 2: Whisk together dry ingredients in a large bowl or bowl attached to a stand mixer.
Step 3: In a small bowl or measuring cup, whisk together the melted and cooled butter, vinegar, egg and egg white.
Step 4: Add the milk/yeast mix and the butter mix to the bowl and blend on medium speed for about 2 minutes. Scrape down sides of bowl and stir to integrate.
Step 5: Spoon batter evenly into 6 mini-cake wells. Cover with unbleached parchment, a tea towel or cling wrap and allow buns to rise in a warm place for about 1 hour. Buns should rise to be about even with the top of the pan.
Preheat oven to 350 F/177 C – 30 minutes into rising
Step 6: Brush each bun with egg wash and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Place in the middle of a preheated oven and bake for 40-45 minutes. A toothpick inserted in the center should come out clean, and the tops should appear golden brown.
Step 7: Remove from the oven and cool in the pan for a few minutes. Transfer buns to a cooling rack and allow to cool for about an hour before cutting in half. Buns will stay fresh for up to two days (uncut) in an airtight container or freeze for up to a month.
The nutrition information provided below is for the recipe as written using the dairy version of the gluten free Flour Farm Bonus Flour Blend and sesame seeds. Each bun weighs approximately 145g (5oz).
- Category: bread
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 Bun
- Calories: 380
- Sugar: 7g
- Sodium: 180mg
- Fat: 10g
- Saturated Fat: 4g
- Unsaturated Fat: 6g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 59g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 11g
- Cholesterol: 80 mg
Keywords: Gluten Free Burger Buns