Cheesy goodness baked into fluffy, gluten free biscuits. Stuff with breakfast bits or enjoy warm right out of the oven. Life is good!
Choose Gluten Free, Non-GMO & Organic ingredients.
Substitutions: Do you need suggestions to swap out an ingredient? Click here.
- 216g (7.6 oz) Flour Farm Organic Gluten Free Flour Blend (2 C spoon & level)
- 4 tsp Aluminum Free, Double Acting Baking Powder (18g)
- 1 tsp Cane Sugar (4.5g)
- 1/2 tsp Extra Fine Pink Himalayan Salt (3g)
- 1/4 tsp Baking Soda (1.5g)
- 1 T Ground Golden Flax Seed (7g)
- 1/4 tsp Ground Cayenne Pepper, optional (.5g)
- 42g (1.5 oz) Very Cold Butter (3 T)
- 170g (6 oz) Sour Cream (3/4 C)
- 1 Large Pasture Raised Egg (50g)
- 2 T Oil – we use Avocado Oil (26g)
- 2 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar (10 ml)
- 43g (1.5 oz) Grated Cheese or up to 57g/2 oz (packed 1/2–2/3 C)
- 44 ml (1.5 oz) Heavy Cream or Melted Butter
Equipment: Digital Scale (preferred), Double Sheet Pans, Unbleached Parchment or Silicone Mat, Measuring Cups and Spoons, Mixing Bowls, 2-ounce Cookie Scoop, Grater, Fork & Heavy Spoon, Pastry Brush
Before You Dive In – Prep: Please read!
- Move oven rack to center
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit (232 degrees Celsius)
- Line a baking sheet with parchment
- Place the lined baking sheet inside (or on top of) another baking sheet
- If you are using honey instead of cane sugar, mix the honey with the oil and vinegar in a small bowl, set aside
- Grate the cheese
Step 1: In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients with the exception of the butter.
Step 2: In a separate medium bowl, mix together the sour cream, egg, oil, vinegar, honey if using in place of cane sugar, and cheese.
Step 3: Grate the butter into the large bowl with the dry mixture. Use a fork to integrate the butter into the flour.
Step 4: Add the sour cream mix to the flour and butter mixture. Use a heavy spoon to thoroughly combine. Use your hands to mix if you need to. Make sure all flour bits are soaked up. Form a ball in the bowl and cover. Refrigerate for up to 30 minutes.
Step 5: Scoop up about 42g (Blue Scoop #16, 2 oz) of dough and even out the top of the scoop. Drop on the parchment about 1/2 inch apart. Optional- brush heavy cream or melted butter onto biscuit tops. We prefer heavy cream. You may also glaze the biscuits after they come out of the oven. It’s up to you!
Step 6: Bake on nested baking sheets in the center of a preheated oven for 16-18 minutes. The tops should appear golden brown.
Step 7: Remove biscuits from the oven and place the pan on a cooling rack for 5 minutes. Remove from pan and transfer directly to cooling rack to completely cool or eat them hot out of the oven with your favorite spread.
To store: Once the biscuits are completely cool, you can store them in an airtight container. They will stay delicious for two days, but taste better when reheated.
To freeze: For best results, it’s best to freeze biscuits the same day you make them, within a few hours of coming out of the oven. Store them in a freezer safe container for up to a month. Reheat them in the oven (we set our temp to 250 degrees Fahrenheit/121 degrees Celsius,) or microwave.
The nutrition information provided below is for the recipe as written above using organic salted butter, avocado oil, sharp cheddar cheese, and butter as the glaze.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 16 minutes
- Category: biscuits
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 biscuit
- Calories: 250
- Sugar: 2g
- Sodium: 460mg
- Fat: 16g
- Saturated Fat: 8g
- Unsaturated Fat: 8g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 20g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 4g
- Cholesterol: 60mg
Keywords: Cheesy Gluten Free Biscuits