Gluten free Ricotta cake is a fuss-free cake to bake. It comes together in less than 15 minutes, bakes for an hour and easily tops with something as simple as a dusting of powdered sugar. Need a more fancy topping? Frost with whipped cream or mascarpone, fresh or thawed frozen fruit, or just eat naked. It’s all good!
Choose Gluten Free, Non-GMO & Organic Ingredients.
Substitutions: Do you need to swap out an ingredient? Click here for suggestions.
Note: If clicking the 2X or 3X scale boxes to the right, please know that weights listed in parentheses below may or may not change. Please take care to check amounts if increasing the recipe.
- 120g (4.2 oz) Flour Farm Organic Gluten Free Flour Blend (1 C + 1.5 T spoon & level)
- 2 tsp Aluminum Free, Double Acting Baking Powder (8g)
- 1/2 tsp Extra Fine Pink Himalayan Salt (3g)
- 4 Large Pasture Raised Eggs, room temperature preferred (200g)
- 157g (5.5 oz) Cane Sugar (2/3 C)
- 425g (15 oz) Ricotta Cheese, we use whole milk (1 container or scant 2 C)
- 114g (4 oz) Unsalted Butter, melted & cooled (1/2 C or 8 T)
- 57g (2 oz) Sour Cream, we use full fat (1/4 C)
- 1 T Lemon Zest (6g)
- 1 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract (5 ml)
- Whipped Cream (1 C heavy cream + 1 T powdered sugar + 1/8 tsp vanilla or fav extract)
- Whipped Mascarpone (add a bit of milk to thin if desired)
- 1–2 C Berries (if frozen, thaw and drain)
- Dusting of Powdered Sugar or Powdered Vanilla or Cocoa Powder
Equipment: Digital Scale (preferred,) 9″ Springform Pan, Stand Mixer with Paddle Attachment or Electric Mixer, Mixing Bowls, Measuring Cups and Spoons, Silicone Spatula, Cooling Rack, Unbleached Parchment
Before You Dive In – Prep: Please read!
- Bring eggs to room temperature
- Set ricotta and cream cheese out on counter 30 minutes before baking (preferred, not necessary)
- Zest lemon
- Melt & cool butter
- Grease springform pan, (try our non-stick baking Goop!)
- Optional: line springform pan with a circle of unbleached parchment and grease it
- Move oven rack to center
- Heat oven to 350 F (177C)
Step 1: In a medium bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients. Set aside.
Step 2: In a large bowl, or the bowl that attaches to the stand up mixer, cream together the eggs and sugar on medium. Beat until frothy.
Step 3: Scrape down the sides of the bowl and whisk in the rest of the wet ingredients. Set the mixer to medium and blend for one minute. Scrape down the sides of the bowl again and swirl a few turns.
Step 4: Turn the mixer to low and spoon in the dry mix. Mix until fully incorporated. Scrape the sides of the bowl, swirl in and pour batter into the prepared springform pan.
Step 5: Place pan in the center of a preheated 350 F/177 C oven and bake for 60 minutes. Check for doneness after 55 minutes. The top and edges will appear golden and the center will jiggle slightly, (in our oven, 60 minutes works perfectly.) Take care not to over-bake.
Step 6: Remove cake from the oven and allow to cool on a rack for about 30 minutes before removing the outer shell. Once cool, transfer to a serving platter and top/frost/dust – whatever you prefer.
Store leftover cake covered in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
The nutrition information provided below is for the recipe as written, with one exception – we use organic salted butter. Toppings are not included in the evaluation. Each slice of cake weighs approximately 100g (3.5 oz).
- Category: cake
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 300
- Sugar: 16g
- Sodium: 330mg
- Fat: 18g
- Saturated Fat: 10g
- Unsaturated Fat: 8g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 26g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 8g
- Cholesterol: 125mg
Keywords: gluten free ricotta cake