Flour Farm’s gluten free Spanakopita – perfect Greek mini pies stuffed with spinach and cheese. Share the love with this light and easy meal.
Time Saver Tip: Make the gluten free pie crust ahead of time, and remove from the fridge as you begin making the filling. Also, take the frozen spinach out of the freezer the night before and place in the refrigerator to thaw.
Choose Gluten Free, Non-GMO & Organic Ingredients.
Substitutions: Do you need to swap out an ingredient? Click here for suggestions.
Note: If clicking the 2X or 3X scale boxes to the right, please know that weights listed in parentheses below may or may not change. Please take care to check amounts if increasing the recipe.
GF Pie Crust
- Make a half batch of Flour Farm’s GF Flaky Pie Crust (you will have plenty of dough for thicker crust, or enough for a double batch of filling to make 8 mini-pies)
- Keep dough refrigerated until 30 minutes prior to rolling out
- 1 lb (454g) Frozen Spinach, (see notes for fresh), thaw and squeeze out water leaving a scant two cups
- 114g (4 oz) Crumbled Feta, we use regular instead of light (about 3/4 C)
- 56g (2 oz) Shredded Mozzarella Cheese, we use whole milk (1/4 C)
- 56g (2 oz) Leek, thinly sliced (1/2 medium leek)
- 1 Large Pasture Raised Egg, slightly beaten (50g)
- 1 Garlic Clove, minced or more to taste
- Chopped Fresh Parsley, handful will do
- Ground Black Pepper to taste
- 1 Small Pasture Raised Egg
- 1 T Water
Equipment: Digital Scale (preferred,) 4 Ramekins (4″ diameter, 2″ deep) or regular 9″ Pie Dish, Mixing Bowl, Measuring Cups and Spoons, Heavy Spoon, Rolling Pin, Pie Bag or Unbleached Parchment, Aluminum Foil, Cooling Rack
Before You Dive In – Prep: Please read!
- Make GF Pie Crust, remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before rolling out
- Thaw frozen or cook fresh spinach and squeeze out excess water
- Grease 4 ramekins, we like to use our non-stick baking Goop
- Move oven rack to center
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit (220 C)
Step 1: Combine filling ingredients in a large bowl. Mix well with a heavy spoon.
Step 2: Fill each ramekin with an equal amount of filling (about 1 C).
Step 3: Lightly dust a pie bag or sheet of unbleached parchment. Dust the surface of the dough, and roll out pie crust to desired thickness. Use a round biscuit cutter or a glass to cut out circles of dough with a diameter just shy of your ramekin. Cover the filling for each ramekin with a dough round, (or large pie). Vent the top.
Step 4: Whisk together egg and water for egg wash. Brush wash over the surface of each pie.
Step 5: Place ramekins on a parchment lined baking sheet. Place the baking sheet loaded with pies in the middle of a preheated 400 F (200 C) oven and bake for about 25-30 minutes. If you desire a darker crust, change the temp to low broil and watch closely. Remove from oven when ready. Note: if you are making a double batch, place oven racks on upper and lower thirds of oven. Rotate baking sheets halfway.
Step 6: Remove pies from the baking sheet and place on a cooling rack. Serve when ramekins are cool enough to handle.
Store in the refrigerator for up to two days. Reheat in a 300 F (150 C) oven until heated through.
The nutrition information below is for the recipe as written with the following exception: one extra large organic egg was used to calculate the amount of egg in the filling and the wash. Each mini pie is filled with approximately 114g/4 oz of filling and uses 1/8 of a half batch of our GF Flaky Pie Crust Recipe.
Fresh Spinach: You will need about 2 pounds of fresh spinach for this recipe. Prepare in the following way: 1) rinse, dry and trim spinach stems, 2) place spinach in a saute pan and cook on med until wilted, 3) cool enough to squeeze out excess water, 4) chop.
Prep time does not include making pie crust or thawing frozen/wilting fresh spinach.
- Category: pie
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: Greek
- Serving Size: 1 pie
- Calories: 350
- Sugar: 4g
- Sodium: 610mg
- Fat: 23g
- Saturated Fat: 14g
- Unsaturated Fat: 9g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 22g
- Fiber: 4g
- Protein: 13g
- Cholesterol: 120mg
Keywords: gluten free spanakopita Greek spinach pie