Equipment: Digital Scale (preferred), 9″ Pie Dish that holds at least 1.5 qts, Mixing Bowls, Whisk, Measuring Spoons & Cups, Sturdy Spoon, Knife, Cutting Board, Cooling Rack, Grater, Baking Sheet (optional)
Substitutions: Do you need to swap out an ingredient? Click here.
Before You Dive In – Prep:
- Hull and cut the strawberries into bite sized pieces (if using)
- Sort, rinse and dry berries
- Grate lemon zest
- Grind instant tapioca in a spice grinder or processor if granules are pearly
- Move oven rack lower third position
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit (190 C)
- Butter or apply non-stick spray to the pie dish
Choose Gluten Free, Non-GMO & Organic Ingredients.
- 850g (30 oz) Assortment of Fresh Berries, sorted, rinsed, cut (if necessary) & dried (about 2 lbs or 6 C)
- 100g (3.5 oz) Cane Sugar (1/2 C)
- 2 tsp Grated Lemon Zest, fresh (4g)
- 4 1/2 T Instant Granulated Tapioca, finely ground (54g)
- 1 Large Pasture Raised Egg (50g)
- 1 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract (5 ml)
- 1 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar (5 ml)
- 158g (5.6 oz) Flour Farm Organic Gluten Free Flour Blend (1 1/2 C – 2 tsp)
- 50g (1.8 oz) Cane Sugar (1/4 C)
- 1 1/2 tsp Double Acting, Aluminum Free Baking Powder (7g)
- 1/4 tsp Extra Fine Pink Himalayan Salt (1.5g)
- 85g (3 oz) Unsalted Butter, very cold (3/4 stick or 6 T)
- 1 T Coarse or Turbinado Cane Sugar (14g)
Please prep note above before you begin, thank you!
Step 1: In a large bowl, combine dry berries.
Step 2: In a separate small bowl, combine sugar and lemon zest. Massage the zest into the sugar with your fingers to release the flavor of the zest into the sugar. Add the tapioca and whisk to combine.
Step 3: Add the sugar mix to the berries and gently toss to combine. Break up any clumps of tapioca and sugar. The sugar mix should be evenly blended in. Pour berries into the prepared pie dish. Set aside.
Step 4: In a small bowl, whisk together the egg, vanilla and cider. Set aside.
Step 5: In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Grate the butter directly into the bowl and use a fork or your fingers to combine. Your flour blend should look like flour coated baby peas. If you have large chunks of butter, break them up into small pieces.
Step 6: Pour the egg mix into the flour blend. Use a sturdy spoon, and then your hands to fully combine. Be mindful not to overwork the dough. It will look and feel like cookie dough when ready.
Step 7: Sprinkle is not the exact term, but you want to break off small pieces of dough and distribute them evenly over the surface of the berries. Cover the entire top. See the photo in the blog for an example. Sprinkle sugar over the crumble top.
Step 8: Place pie dish in a preheated 375 F/190 C oven on the lower third rack. If you are worried about juice spilling over, place dish on a baking sheet, or place a sheet of foil on the bottom of your oven. Bake for 30-35 minutes and check for browning. If the crumble appears to be browning too quickly, tent with foil. Continue to bake for a total of 55 minutes. Your mixed berry crumble should be cooked through and bubbly in the middle.
Step 9: Remove crumble from the oven and allow to cool on a wire rack until ready to serve. The longer the crumble rests, the firmer the berry filling will be. Best served warm with ice cream and/or freshly whipped cream.
Vegan Option: To make this recipe vegan, use egg replacer and non-dairy butter.
Spice Option: Many recipes call for the addition of nutmeg or cinnamon to either the filling or the topping. Feel free to add a very small amount of spice to this recipe if your tradition or taste calls for it.
The nutrition information provided below is for the recipe as written using strawberries, blueberries and raspberries.
- Category: dessert
- Serving Size: 4 oz scoop
- Calories: 250
- Sugar: 23g
- Sodium: 140mg
- Fat: 9g
- Saturated Fat: 4.5g
- Unsaturated Fat: 4.5g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 43g
- Fiber: 4g
- Protein: 3g
- Cholesterol: 35mg
Keywords: gluten free mixed berry cobbler gum free