Equipment: Digital Scale (preferred), Double Sheet Pans, Unbleached Parchment or Silicone Mat, Measuring Cups and Spoons, Mixing Bowls, Small Cookie Scoop or Melon Ball Scoop, Grater, Fork & Heavy Spoon, Pastry Brush
Substitutions: Do you need to swap out an ingredient? Click here.
Before You Dive In – Prep:
- Move oven rack to center
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit (232 degrees Celsius)
- Line a baking sheet with parchment
- Place the lined baking sheet inside (or on top of) another baking sheet
- If you are using honey (8g) instead of cane sugar, mix the honey with the oil and vinegar in a small bowl, set aside
Choose Gluten Free, Non-GMO & Organic ingredients.
- 216g (7.6 oz) Flour Farm Organic Gluten Free Flour Blend (2 C)
- 4 tsp Aluminum Free, Double Acting Baking Powder (18g)
- 1 T Cane Sugar (14g)
- 1/2 tsp Pink Himalayan Salt (3g)
- 1/4 tsp Baking Soda (1.5g)
- 42g (1.5 oz) Very Cold Butter (3 T)
- 170g (6 oz) Sour Cream (3/4 C)
- 1 Large Pasture Raised Egg (50g)
- 2 T Oil – we use Avocado Oil (26g)
- 2 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar (8g)
- 3 T Heavy Cream, Melted Butter or Whole Milk (45 ml)
- 1 T Coarse Cane Sugar, such as Turbinado or Raw (14g and optional)
Please read prep note above before you begin, thank you!
Step 1: In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients with the exception of the butter.
Step 2: In a separate medium bowl, mix together the sour cream, egg, oil, and vinegar (and honey if using in place of cane sugar).
Step 3: Grate the butter into the large bowl with the dry mixture. Use a fork to integrate the butter into the flour.
Step 4: Add the sour cream mix to the flour and butter mixture. Use a heavy spoon to thoroughly combine. Use your hands to mix if you need to. Make sure all flour bits are soaked up.
Step 5: Cover the bowl and place in the refrigerator for 20-30 minutes.
Step 6: Scoop up about 15g of dough in the cookie/mellon scoop. Drop on the parchment lined baking sheet about 1/2 inch apart. The biscuits do not spread, so you should be able to get them all on one baking sheet.
Step 7: Optional- brush heavy cream onto biscuit tops. You may also glaze the biscuits after they come out of the oven. Sprinkle the tops with coarse sugar, (optional).
Step 8: Bake in the center of the oven for about 15 minutes. The tops should appear golden brown. Watch them after 10 minutes to check for doneness.
Step 9: Remove biscuits from the oven and place the pan on a cooling rack for 5 minutes. Transfer biscuits directly to cooling rack to completely cool or eat them hot out of the oven with your favorite spread.
Store: Biscuits stay fresh on the counter in an airtight container for two days. Freeze for up to a month.
The nutrition information provided below is for the recipe as written using salted organic butter, heavy organic cream for the glaze and organic turbinado sugar. Each biscuit weighs about 15g (.5 oz).
- Category: biscuits
- Serving Size: 1 biscuit
- Calories: 70
- Sugar: 1g
- Sodium: 125mg
- Fat: 4g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Unsaturated Fat: 2g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 7g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 1g
- Cholesterol: 15mg
Keywords: gluten free mini tea party biscuits