Equipment: Digital Scale (preferred), 9×5″ Loaf Pan, Mixing Bowl, Whisk, Measuring Spoons & Cups, Rubber Spatula, Cooling Rack
Substitutions: Do you need to swap out an ingredient? Click here.
Before You Dive In – Prep:
- Bring egg to room temperature (preferred)
- Melt and cool the butter
- Move oven rack to center
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit (190 C)
- Grease or apply non-stick spray to a 9×5″ bread loaf pan (click the link for our non-stick baking Goop recipe)
Choose Gluten Free, Non-GMO & Organic Ingredients.
- 360g (12.7 oz) Flour Farm Organic Gluten Free Flour Blend (3 1/3 C)
- 1 T Baking Powder (14g)
- 1/4 tsp Baking Soda (1g)
- 3/4 tsp Extra Fine Pink Himalayan Salt (4.5g)
- Raisins, Dried Fruit (about 1 C) – we prefer currents and 1 C = 128g or 4.5 oz
- Caraway Seeds (1 T)
- 1 Large Pasture Raised Egg (50g)
- 414 ml (14 oz) Buttermilk – we use whole milk (1 3/4 C)
- 57g (2 oz) Salted Butter, melted & cooled (1/2 stick or 4 T)
- 1 T Milk (15 ml)
- 1 T Coarse or Raw Sugar (14g)
Please read the prep note above before you begin, thank you!
Step 1: In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients including the add-ins if using.
Step 2: Add the egg to the milk and whisk together.
Step 3: Pour the egg/milk mix into the dry mix and stir gently with a sturdy spoon until well mixed.
Step 4: Add the melted and cooled butter to the batter and stir until combined.
Step 5: Spoon the batter into a prepared loaf pan. Dampen a spatula with water and shape the batter into a loaf. Repeatedly dip the spatula into water and shape around the entire loaf. Smooth out the top.
Step 6: Brush the milk onto the shaped loaf. Sprinkle the top with sugar and place in a 375 F/190 C preheated oven to bake.
Step 7: Bake the loaf for approximately 60 minutes. Check for doneness after 50 minutes. If the top appears too brown, tent with foil. A toothpick inserted in the center will come out clean.
Step 8: Remove loaf from the oven and allow to cool in the pan for about 5 minutes. Turn the loaf out onto a cooling rack and cool completely before slicing. Store in cling wrap or a sealed container for up to 2 days. Freeze for up to a month.
Buttermilk Substitution: If you do not have buttermilk, you can substitute this ingredient by mixing together 3/4 C (170g or 6 oz) of plain yogurt to 1 C (237 ml or 8 oz) milk.
The nutrition information provided below is for the recipe as written using organic currents. One loaf yields about 12 slices weighing approximately 75g (2.5 oz) each.
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 230
- Sugar: 15g
- Sodium: 310mg
- Fat: 8g
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Unsaturated Fat: 5g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 37g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 4g
- Cholesterol: 30mg
Keywords: gluten free irish soda bread american