Equipment: Digital Scale (preferred), Large Dutch Oven with lid, Large Sauce Pan, Knife & Cutting Board, Mixing Bowls, Measuring Cups & Spoons, Sturdy Spoon, Large Soup Bowls, Ladle
Substitutions: Do you need suggestions to swap out an ingredient? Click here.
Before You Dive In – Prep:
- Cut chicken into 2″ (5 cm) pieces
- Chop herbs
- Dice onions & carrots
- Cut mushrooms into 1/2″ (1.3 cm) pieces
Choose Gluten Free, Non-GMO, & Organic ingredients.
- 1.9 L (64 fl oz) No Sodium Added Chicken Stock (8 C)
- About 1kg (2.2 lb) Chicken Breasts/Thighs, boneless, cut into two inch chunks
- 2 sprigs Fresh Parsley
- 2 sprigs Fresh Thyme
- 113g (4 oz) Unsalted Butter (1/2 C or 1 stick)
- 170g (6 oz) Onion, diced (about 1/2 Large Onion or 11/4 C)
- 240g (8.5 oz) Carrots, diced (about 2 Large Carrots or 2 C)
- 283g (10 oz) Cremini Mushrooms, stemmed and cut into 1/2” chunks (about 3 1/2 – 4 C)
- 84g (3 oz) Flour Farm Organic Gluten Free Flour Blend (3/4 C)
- 1/2 tsp Poultry Seasoning (1g)
- 1/4 C Fresh Parsley Leaves, chopped and loosely packed (5 g)
- 1 tsp Fresh Thyme Leaves (1g)
- 59 ml (2 fl oz) Heavy Cream (1/4 C)
- Salt, Seasoning, and freshly Ground Pepper to taste
- Additional chopped Parsley for garnish
Please read prep note above before you begin, thank you!
Step 1: Pour chicken stock into a large sauce pan. Add chicken and sprigs of herbs. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to low. Partially cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Occasionally skim foam off the surface.
Step 2: Remove cooked chicken with tongs or a slotted spoon and transfer to a large bowl or plate. Allow to cool for about 5 minutes. Pull chicken off the bones and shred it. Meat should yield about 4 cups (567g/20 oz).
Step 3: Remove herb sprigs from the stock. Add shredded chicken back to stock. Keep stock on low or warm.
Step 4: In a large Dutch oven or stock pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onion, carrots and mushrooms. Saute vegetables until tender – about 6 minutes. Do not brown.
Step 5: Sprinkle the flour and poultry seasoning over the vegetables. Cook and stir for 2 minutes. Add stock with chicken to the vegetables one cup at a time, stirring between each cup to prevent lumps.
Step 6: Cook for several minutes to allow soup to thicken. Once it begins to thicken, add chopped herbs and heavy cream. Stir to combine.
Step 7: Season to taste with salt and ground pepper if desired. We like to add Borsari Seasoning Salt and additional poultry seasoning to our soup. Keep warm until ready to serve or add dumplings. Garnish with fresh herbs if desired.
For our gluten free dumpling recipe, click here.
Make ahead: Prep the vegetables up to two days in advance and keep them covered in the refrigerator. Also, the stew tastes even better the next day! We suggest that you make the dumplings, if desired, the day you serve the stew.
The nutrition information provided below is for the recipe as written using salted organic butter, pink Himalayan salt (3g) and homemade chicken stock without added sodium. Portions average 12 ounces (340g).
- Serving Size: 12 oz
- Calories: 350
- Sugar: 3g
- Sodium: 300mg
- Fat: 20g
- Saturated Fat: 9g
- Unsaturated Fat: 11g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 12g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 30g
- Cholesterol: 125mg
Keywords: Gluten Free Creamy Chicken Stew with Dumplings