Equipment: Digital Scale (preferred), 9″ Cast Iron Pan or 9×9″ Baking Pan, Small/Medium Mixing Bowls, Measuring Cups and Spoons, Whisk
Substitutions: Do you need suggestions to swap out an ingredient? Click here.
Before You Dive In – Prep:
- Melt and cool butter to room temperature
- Move oven rack to center
- Butter or grease a 9″ cast iron pan or square baking pan
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit (204 C)
- Place pan in the oven to heat to preheat
Choose Gluten Free, Non-GMO, & Organic ingredients.
- 108g (3.8 oz) Flour Farm Organic Gluten Free Flour Blend (1 C)
- 85g (3 oz) Polenta or Corn Meal (1/2 C)
- 57g (2 oz) Corn Flour (1/2 C)
- 55g (2 oz) Brown Cane Sugar, packed (1/4 C) Note: If substituting Honey, add to wet ingredients
- 1 tsp Baking Powder (4g)
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda (2.5g)
- 1/4 tsp Extra Fine Pink Himalayan Salt (1.5g)
- 113g (4 oz) Salted Butter, melted and cooled (1 stick or 1/2 C)
- 237 ml (8 oz) Buttermilk (1 C)
- 2 L Pasture Raised Eggs, lightly beaten (100g)
Please read prep note above before you begin.
Step 1: Whisk together the dry ingredients in a medium bowl. Set aside.
Step 2: Add the buttermilk and the eggs to the dry mix. Whisk until well blended, but do not over mix. Pour in the cooled, melted butter. Mix until thoroughly combined.
Step 3: Remove the scorching hot pan from the preheated oven and place on the stove top or other safe surface. Pour the batter into the pan. You will hear a delightful sizzle sound!
Step 4: Bake for about 20 minutes. A toothpick will come out clean when inserted in the middle. Alternatively, the bread will spring back to the touch.
Step 5: Remove from the oven and set the pan on a cooling rack. Allow to cool for about 15 minutes before cutting. To store: place in an airtight container for up to two days or freeze for up to a month.
Pan Alternatives: If you do not have a cast iron pan, no problem! Use a 9×9″ baking pan that you are able to preheat in the oven.
The nutrition information provided below is for the recipe as written using organic brown sugar. Bread may be sliced into twelve wedges.
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 180
- Sugar: 5g
- Sodium: 220mg
- Fat: 9g
- Saturated Fat: 5g
- Unsaturated Fat: 4g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 20g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 3g
- Cholesterol: 50mg
Keywords: gluten free corn bread cast iron honey