Creamy, dreamy and heavenly describes our delightful take on a traditional Sicilian treat that features ricotta and mini chocolate chips paired with a crispy pastry. We call this dessert Cannoli Pie, and we use our gluten free Tender Pie Crust as the foundation. Make this recipe part of your holiday tradition. Enjoy!
Choose Gluten Free, Non-GMO & Organic Ingredients.
Substitutions: Do you need to swap out an ingredient? Click here for suggestions.
Note: If clicking the 2X or 3X scale boxes to the right, please know that weights listed in parentheses below may or may not change. Please take care to check amounts if increasing the recipe.
- One 9” GF Pie Crust, unbaked – we prefer Flour Farm’s GF Tender Pie Crust or GF Flaky Pie Crust (use 1/2 recipe)
- 440g (15.5 oz) Whole Milk Ricotta Cheese (2 C)
- 100g (3.5 oz) Cane Sugar (1/2 C)
- 4 Large Pasture Raised Eggs, lightly beaten (200g)
- 2 Large Pasture Raised Egg Whites, lightly beaten (60g)
- 2 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract (10 ml)
- 1 tsp Chocolate Extract (5 ml)
- 95g (3.3 oz) Mini Chocolate Chips (1/2 C) – add less if desired (plus more for garnish after pie cools)
- Try replacing the chocolate extract with 1 T of Grand Marnier, (orange liquor), plus 2 tsp of Orange Zest. Omit the Chocolate in the filling and use mini chips or orange zest to garnish if desired
Equipment: Digital scale (preferred), 9″ Deep pie plate, 9×13″ Oven proof baking dish, Rolling pin, Large mixing bowl, Measuring cups and spoons, Rubber spatula, Whisk, Pie shield, Cooling rack, Pie cutter
Before You Dive – Prep: Please read
- Make your pie crust, see links above in the Ingredients Section, and refrigerate until 30 minutes before you are ready to roll out
- Bring eggs to room temperature
- Take ricotta out of refrigerator about 1/2 hour before you plan to bake
- Zest orange if using
- Make a pie crust shield, click on the link to make your own foil shield – we use this
- Prepare pie crust in plate – see Step 1 below
- Move an oven rack to center, leave a rack space open below it
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (177 C)
- Place oven proof 9×13″ dish on bottom rack of oven
- Heat 2 Qt of water to boiling
Step 1: Roll out pie crust to fit your pie plate. Shape the edge and prick with a fork to release any air trapped air. Refrigerate pie crust while working on the filling.
Step 2: Place the oven proof 9×13″ baking dish on the bottom rack of the preheating oven. Pour 2 qts of boiling water into the dish and close the oven door.
Step 3: In a large bowl, add the filling ingredients up to the chocolate chips. Whisk briskly to combine. Add the mini chips and stir until chips are fully integrated. If using Grand Marnier and orange zest, add with the rest of the filling ingredients.
Step 4: Remove the pie crust from the refrigerator and pour in the filling. Cover the crust with a pie crust shield – this should remain on the pie for the entire baking time.
Step 5: Place the pie in the center of a 350 F/177 C oven. Bake for 1 hour, 15 minutes. Do not open oven door 🙂 Turn off oven and allow pie to continue cooking for 10 more minutes.
Step 6: Remove pie from the oven and place on a cooling rack. Cool completely before refrigerating. This pie is best eaten chilled. Note – if the pie has not cooled completely before refrigeration, the surface will collect moisture and “weep”.
Step 7: To easily cut a chilled pie and remove a slice from the plate, set the pie plate in a shallow dish of hot water for about 10 minutes. The warmth will loosen up the crust and make it easier to remove a slice of pie. Garnish as desired and enjoy!
To store: Wrap the surface of the pie and store in the refrigerator for up to three days. Freezing is not recommended.
The nutrition information provided below is for the recipe as written. Each slice weighs approximately 138g (4.9 oz).
- Category: Pie
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: Italian
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 430
- Sugar: 21g
- Sodium: 280mg
- Fat: 27g
- Saturated Fat: 15g
- Unsaturated Fat: 12g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 37g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 12g
- Cholesterol: 155mg
Keywords: Gluen Free Cannoli Pie Ricotta