Yield: This recipe will generously frost one 9×13″ single layer cake or the middle and top layers of a two layer cake. Halve the recipe if desired.
Equipment: Digital Scale (preferred), Medium Sauce Pan, Mixing Bowl, Whisk, Mixing Spoon, Measuring Spoons & Cups, Baking Sheet, Knife and Cutting Board, Unbleached Parchment
Substitutions: Do you need to swap out an ingredient? Click here.
Before You Dive In – Prep:
- Bring eggs to room temperature
- Toast nuts & cool (bake in a single layer on a baking sheet in the center of the oven at 350 F/177 C for 8 minutes)
- Finely chop nuts
- Prepare homemade evaporated milk, if using. If refrigerated, bring to room temperature
Choose Gluten Free, Non-GMO & Organic Ingredients.
- 4 Large Pasture Raised Egg Yolks (72g)
- 355 ml (12 fl oz) Evaporated Whole Milk – also called unsweetened condensed milk (1.5 C)
- 100g (3.5 oz) Light Brown Cane Sugar (1/2 C)
- 100g (3.5 oz) Cane Sugar (1/2 C)
- 85g (3 oz) Salted Butter (6 T)
- 1/8 tsp Extra Fine Pink Himalayan Salt (1g)
- 2 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract (10 ml)
- 170g (6 oz) Unsweetened Shredded Coconut (2 C)
- 170g (6 oz) Raw Pecans, toasted and finely chopped (1.5 C)
Please read the prep note above before you begin, thank you!
Step 1: In a medium sauce pan, whisk together the egg yolks.
Step 2: Slowly whisk in the evaporated milk.
Step 3: Add in sugars, butter and salt. Whisk constantly while cooking over medium heat until mixture is boiling, frothy and slightly thickened. This takes about 5-6 minutes. Adjust temperature if necessary.
Step 4: Remove mixture from the heat and transfer to a medium sized bowl. Whisk in the vanilla. Stir in the coconut.
Step 5: Cool on the counter until warm and then cover with a tight fitting lid and store in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours and up to 3 days. Add in chopped pecans before frosting your cake.
Helpful tip: If the frosting is cold, allow it to sit at room temperature for about 45 minutes before adding pecans.
The nutrition information provided below is for the recipe as written. Each serving weighs about 56g or 2 ounces.
- Serving Size: 2 oz
- Calories: 260
- Sugar: 16g
- Sodium: 90mg
- Fat: 20g
- Saturated Fat: 10g
- Unsaturated Fat: 10g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 19g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 4g
- Cholesterol: 60mg
Keywords: german chocolate cake frosting coconut pecan