Flour Farm Organic Gluten Free Flour Blend – Baking with Acacia Powder
Some of our Flour Farm readers may wonder why we include acacia powder or fiber in some of our recipes. Acacia fiber, also called gum arabic, is a soluble fiber made from the sap of the Acacia Senegal tree. This odorless, tasteless powder offers benefits to the body as well as naturally enhances the texture of gluten free foods. I add it to my morning almond milk, and to our gluten free recipes when I want to add what I call, “oomph.”
Benefits of Acacia Fiber
Body Bonus- There are many ways acacia fiber benefits our system:
- Acacia is a prebiotic that promotes healthy bacteria in the gut.
- It soothes and strengthens the lining of the intestinal wall.
- Acacia optimizes digestion and nutrient absorption.
- This insoluble fiber slows glucose absorption into the bloodstream.
- Acacia powder promotes weight loss.
Baking Bonus- We love acacia powder for several reasons:
- Acacia is an organic product that has been used in food since prehistoric times.
- When combined with tapioca starch, acacia improves the texture of baked goods.
- It is a heat stable substance that can handle acidic environments.
- Acacia powder is 90% soluble fiber, and adds very few calories to a recipe.
- It is naturally gluten free.
- Acacia fiber extends the shelf life of baked products.
Very few of our readers know that I live with Irritable Bowel Syndrome, and have suffered from the symptoms since I was a young woman. My first colonoscopy occurred in my early 20s and several more followed over the years. The results always diagnosed inflammation, but doctors could not tell me why. A brilliant ND identified my symptoms and set out a course of action that included removing gluten from my diet. He also prescribed daily doses of acacia powder and probiotics. These three actions literally changed my life. I no longer plan my day around the “loo sprint.”
Read the links below if you are interested in digging deeper into the benefits of acacia fiber, (we are not affiliated with any of these companies.)
Flour farm is also not affiliated with Heather’s Tummy Fiber, but the ND that I work with prescribed it for me. You will notice that we use this brand of acacia powder in our recipes. I am grateful for Heather’s story and for the incredible effort she demonstrates to raise awareness of IBS. She supports of all of us who live, work and play with symptoms. For more information about IBS and Heather’s Tummy Fiber, click here.
I am sensitive to the fact that a few readers may be intolerant of acacia fiber, or they may be adverse to purchasing and experimenting with it. I emphasize using it as an option. However, for the recipes that I have included acacia powder, the texture and form is superior to the product without it.
To purchase Flour Farm Organic Gluten Free Flour Blend, click on the link provided below. Flour Farm donates 50% of the profits from this purchase to our local food bank, 2nd Harvest. You will be directed to Amazon.com. We do not store any of your information. Thank you and share the love!