Equipment: Digital Scale (preferred), Food Processor (preferred), Large Dutch Oven or Heavy Bottom Soup Pot, Grater, Knife, Cutting Board, Ladle, Whisk
Substitutions: Do you need to swap out an ingredient? Click here.
Before You Dive In – Prep:
- Prepare homemade stock (optional)
- Make vegan Parmesan cheese, if using (click on the link for recipe)
- Mince vegetables
- Grate Cheese
Choose Gluten Free, Non-GMO & Organic Ingredients.
- 4 Medium Stalks of Celery (160g)
- 4 Medium Carrots, peeled (244g)
- 1/2 Large Onion, outer skin removed (75g)
- 3 Cloves Garlic, peeled (9g)
- 42g Salted Butter (1.5 oz or 3 T) – omit and use same amount of oil to make vegan
- 2 T Olive or Avocado Oil (30 ml or 1 oz)
- 30g (1oz) Flour Farm Organic Gluten Free Flour Blend (1/4 C)
- 946 ml (32 oz) Low Sodium Stock – Vegetable or Chicken (4 C)
- 2 – 14 oz Cans Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes, keep the juice
- 85g (3 oz) Tomato Paste (feel free to add more for a more concentrated tomato taste)
- 1/4 C Fresh Basil, use sprigs – short stem and leaves (or use 1 T dried)
- 1 T Fresh Oregano, use sprigs – stem and leaves
- 1/8 C Fresh Parsley, use sprigs – short stem and leaves
- 2 Bay Leaves, fresh (1 dried)
- Extra Fine Pink Himalayan Salt or Borsari Seasoning Salt, to taste
- Black Pepper, freshly ground to taste
- Red Pepper Flakes, pinch or to taste
- 237 ml (8 oz) Dairy or Non-dairy Milk or Cream (1 C) – add more if needed for desired consistency
- 57g (2 oz) Parmesan Cheese, freshly grated (1 C) – plus extra for garnish (see prep note for a link to vegan parm.)
Please read prep note above before you begin, than you!
Step 1: Finely mince vegetables in a food processor or by hand. Set aside.
Step 2: Add butter if using and oil to a large dutch oven. Heat the fat on medium until butter is melted. Turn the heat to medium-high and add the minced vegetables. Saute vegetables for 10 minutes.
Step 3: Sprinkle the flour over the vegetables and cook for 2 minutes. Stir/whisk constantly.
Step 4: Whisk in stock. When fully mixed, add the tomatoes with juice, tomato paste, and herbs. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes or until carrots are tender.
Step 5: Remove herbs on their stems including the bay leaves. Don’t remove the small stray leaves. Remove the pot from the heat and blend the mix with an immersion hand blender until smooth and creamy. Alternatively, transfer the soup in batches to a stand blender and puree until smooth. Take care not to fully close the lid. Allow the steam to escape through an opening or the soup may explode.
Step 6: Return the pot to the heat. Whisk in the Parmesan cheese and milk or cream. Season to taste. Simmer on low for another 20 minutes. Taste again to adjust seasoning or to add stock/cream if needed.
Step 7: Serve soup piping hot with your favorite bread or crackers.
Store soup in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
The nutrition information provided below is for the recipe as written using salted organic butter, avocado oil, no sodium homemade organic chicken stock, pink Himalayan salt (1 tsp or 6g), and organic fresh herbs. Each bowl or serving weighs approximately 296 ml (10 oz or 1 1/4 C).
- Serving Size: 1 Bowl
- Calories: 320
- Sugar: 7g
- Sodium: 680mg
- Fat: 23g
- Saturated Fat: 12g
- Unsaturated Fat: 11g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 16g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 9g
- Cholesterol: 75mg
Keywords: Gluten Free Tomato Parmesan Herb Creamy Soup